High rpms in overdrive ( about 3k@ 65-70mph )

follow_me_22

:eek: I'm lost. I just bought an 86 t-type w/ 90k. The car has bigger injectors, new stock turbo( i was told ), mild chip ( no clue which one ), and hooker duals w/ test pipe. the car is completely stock other than that, down to the stock airbox. Now to the problem... The car runs good, shifts firm and solid in all gears until I'm on the freeway in overdrive. I feel the car shift into OD but the car wont just cruise. It feels like the transmission won't disengage when I let off the gas. Sorta like a manual transmission. I can also smell gas when I pull the car into my garage after a test drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Don't believe the stock tac mines out 800 rpm according to my scan tool.
The digital tac's are notorious for being out.

Don't believe the stock tac mines out 800 rpm according to my scan tool.
The digital tac's are notorious for being out.

This is true, but I can "feel" the car working hard and over revving for a normal highway speed of 70 mph.

Sounds like your torque converter is locking, sure its got the stock diff in it?
It shifts into overdrive? its not hanging in 3rd?

Sounds like your torque converter is locking, sure its got the stock diff in it?
It shifts into overdrive? its not hanging in 3rd?

From what I know, Its the stock rear-end ( I really hope the gears were not changed! ). It definitely feel as if the torque converter is locked because it feels like a manual trans on the freeway, slowing down very fast when off the gas. Drives normal on the street.

It almost sounds like you are interpreting the lockup in 3rd as the trans shifting to OD. The rpm @ speed range you indicate would certainly be in 3rd gear territory with a 3.42 rear.

It almost sounds like you are interpreting the lockup in 3rd as the trans shifting to OD. The rpm @ speed range you indicate would certainly be in 3rd gear territory with a 3.42 rear.

Maybe.. That's exactly what I thought first and I played with the T.V. and it seemed to shift to OD with the cable set very soft. The car would then cruise as it should ( about 2k @ 70-75 ) but when I press the gas the car would rev up to about 3k before it would feel like it was actually connecting to deliver power. Like I said, I'm lost. I'm taking the car to Mizzi's either tonight or tomorrow for an official ruling..