High Rpm

daredevil

Hi guys,

Need your expert opinion. My old battery quit after not using my GN for over a week so I used a charger to start it. I then drove it around the block and then turned it off. Restarting the car later, the battery just click.

I ended buying a new battery and the problem start. The RPM is running high. The dashboard RPM bar runs red even on low speed.

Any suggestion on how to lower the RPM?

Thanking you in advance.

Manny :cool: :confused: :)

factory tach

Is not accurate, is it actually reving High or are you just seeing the factory guage higher?..........Randy

Originally posted by daredevil
Hi guys,

Need your expert opinion. My old battery quit after not using my GN for over a week so I used a charger to start it. I then drove it around the block and then turned it off. Restarting the car later, the battery just click.

I ended buying a new battery and the problem start. The RPM is running high. The dashboard RPM bar runs red even on low speed.

Any suggestion on how to lower the RPM?

Thanking you in advance.

Manny :cool: :confused: :)
Hey Manny,

Look for vacuum leaks. Maybe a hose came off/cracked old?. And try resetting the computer. Do you have a Scanmaster? What are the IAC#s.

Guy

Randy/Guy,

It's not revving high but the RPM is high on the gauge. No, I don't have a scanmaster and don't know how to reset the computer. I will check the vacuum hoses as soon as I get the car back from the body shop.

Thanks for your replies.

Manny

I had a car that did the same thing. I never diagnosed the problem as I ended up selling it off to Rob. It was an 86 t-tops GN and soon after starting up the car the tach would peg to the red. I think that the tach output comes from the coil module and is one of the white wires out the 14 wires in that connector. Maybe its just dirty or has a bad connection. It worked fine before the battery change though right??? Dont know what could have done it there. :confused:
Derek:cool:

Reset ECM

Manny,

All you have to do to reset the computer is Unplug the Orange wire by the battery for 10 Seconds then reconnect, hope this helps.............Randy

My factory tach has been redlining for about 7 years now:eek: Maybe resetting the puter will fix it, but with electrical, you never know when it's going to go.