High oil temp

TURBOZ

My oil temperture gets very hot with my twin turbo setup. Im thinking a little too hot. It gets around 280 degrees on a hot 80-90 degree day/night. What do you think?

Where is your temp sensor for the oil placed? How are the water temps? My sender is in the pan and usually stays around 190 to 210.

Originally posted by TURBOZ
My oil temperture gets very hot with my twin turbo setup. Im thinking a little too hot. It gets around 280 degrees on a hot 80-90 degree day/night. What do you think?

Ignition timing can play a huge role in it.
I don't run a temp guage, but in trimming back my cruise timing I picked up 5 PSI in oil pressure with no other changes.

Originally posted by Mark E. Where is your temp sensor for the oil placed? How are the water temps? My sender is in the pan and usually stays around 190 to 210.
This is the critical point. 3 basic placements, like with a transmission. After engine (before cooler), after cooler (before engine) or in the pan. Either way, I think 280, even if before cooler is a little hot. I believe you need a minimum of like 160-180 entering the engine to lubricate properly. I'm putting mine after the external cooler before it enters the motor so I can monitor the oil temp entering the motor. I have a good size oil cooler on "FUR" with a really power 1000+ cfm SPAL fan. I'm concerned that it's going to actually be too cool when just idling. My plan is to click on the fan when I go driving to the track, 25 miles each way to the track. At the track I'm not too worried about the temp as I'm typically sitting for like 2 hours between runs, maybe I'll click it on, on the return road then turn it off.

I forgot to put that I use NO oil cooller. Garbage went in when I lost a bearing. I was going to put an external air/oil, but I saw no significant temp rise. Maybe when I get ready for the Silver State Challenge I will think more about putting one back on. :D When drag racing, the temps stayed very low. No need for a cooler at all. My car is mainly street driven but gets driven hard regularly. Food For Thought,

Originally posted by Mark E.
I forgot to put that I use NO oil cooller. Garbage went in when I lost a bearing. I was going to put an external air/oil, but I saw no significant temp rise. Maybe when I get ready for the Silver State Challenge I will think more about putting one back on. :D When drag racing, the temps stayed very low. No need for a cooler at all. My car is mainly street driven but gets driven hard regularly. Food For Thought,
I'd put one on. I think 280 is a little hot in a performance car.

Mine is not at 280 :D Turboz never even replied to tell us where he was measuring this temp. Mine stays right above coolant temp, never much over 200. No cooler.

Oh, I didn't realize there were 2 people posting about their oil temps. I think I need to start reading a little closer! :cool:

Helloooooo TURBOZ!!!!

There are a few questions for you in the first response!
Are you out there????????? :D :D :D