High heat paint

84 Sleeper

Has anyone ever used the duplicolor high heat paint on their turbos, headers, and downpipes? It says it's good up to 2000 degrees and was wondering if I could use it on those parts especially the turbo since I will have them of to give them a check up and was going to try to clean them up and make them look good. Any thoughts or advice would be great.

I have the VHT Flameproof on my Exhaust Manifolds and Downpipe. The color was a Metal gray and the hot areas turned Gold. Minor flaking at the Downpipe, but still holding up after 2k miles. Here is a photo freshly painted and another after it turned gold.

Attachments

• 1415566366698.jpg
    1415566366698.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 228
  • 1415566392208.jpg
    1415566392208.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 227
I have the VHT Flameproof on my Exhaust Manifolds and Downpipe. The color was a Metal gray and the hot areas turned Gold. Minor flaking at the Downpipe, but still holding up after 2k miles. Here is a photo freshly painted and another after it turned gold.
Mine is the same except its in black
image.jpg

The Rustoleum high heat spray right here is wonderful. I did my turbo exhaust housing many months ago and it still looks perfect. Make sure it's clean and do two coats.

its not going to last, the por 20 lasted for a while,but your better off getting things ceramic coated.

Has anyone ever used the duplicolor high heat paint on their turbos, headers, and downpipes? It says it's good up to 2000 degrees and was wondering if I could use it on those parts especially the turbo since I will have them of to give them a check up and was going to try to clean them up and make them look good. Any thoughts or advice would be great.

I had luck with it on exhaust tips, it lasted over 3 years before it needed a recoat. Not the same temp range as the turbo and up/down pipes, but it was also exposed to road dash off the tires, puddles ect.
No complaints.

... The color was a Metal gray and the hot areas turned Gold...

Even the gold looks way better than the medium matte brick color I'm currently rocking now (rust is such a bad word). Nice engines David and Larry!

Last edited:
The high temp paints will work fairly well if the surface is prepared properly.

Removing oil, dirt and grease we all know is necessary, but I have found an extra step will result in a better finish, and be longer lasting.

Using some Eastwood manifold paint years ago, the instructions said the paint will cure when heated, but be sure the part is free of any moisture.

I use a propane torch to heat the part which will of course drive out the moisture even if it has been sitting in the hot sun. It is amazing how much moisture comes out especially at joints!

2X on what Nick said , also I know VHT flame proof 2000* paint needs to be cured in stages , 200* for 20 mins. cool for 30 mins. then 400* for 20 mins. cool 30 mins. & finally 600* for 20 mins. this is per instructions on the can . I used VHT on my Swaintech coated headers and the only way to cure them was with a heat gun in the flanges . The paint became tacky while heating then hardening when cool eventually staying hard after going through the process . I painted the Swaintech coating because I didn't want white headers & down pipe.