Hi flow cat ?

njbadboy

87 Sick Ass GN
I am purchasing a 87 GN and it has a test pipe on it. The car has a 3" down pipe and a test pipe with a flange on the rear of it connecting it to the exhaust system. I live in NJ and will need to have the car pass inspection and in NJ they will stick a sensor in the tail pipe to check the emissions. With all that said I have heard that there is a Hi flow
cat available that will directly fit an exhaust that has a 3" down pipe and will bolt directly to the exhaust flange. Do you guys know who makes it and where I can find it on line. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I attached a picture of the test pipe.

Thanks

Dave

Attachments

• test pipe.jpg
    test pipe.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 87
  • test pipe.jpg
    test pipe.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 88
Measure your test pipe, it's probably around 14 1/4" long at least thats what my ATR test pipe was. I bought a 3" Hi flow cat from Kirbans, problem was I had to cut back a little of the exhaust to get it to fit in because the new cat measured 18 1/2" from Kirbans. There are other Hi flow cats out there measuring around 14" or so. If I would of known that at the time I ordered mine it would have saved me the trouble cutting back the exhaust to get it too fit in place.

Thanks for the heads up Turbojd. Do you know where I can get a shorter HI Flow Cat that would measure around 14" ? When I get the car I will measure the Test pipe before I buy a Cat. Do you think keeping a cat on will kill performance? If so I will put it on just to pass inspection and then put back the test pipe. Why did you cut the exhaust insted of cutting the cat?

Sorry when you click on the link click on under products on the top of the page for direct fit Hi-flow cats, not universal cats.

Thanks TurboJd. That direct fit looks like it will work fine. If I buy it and install it I will post my results. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!

just a quick question , does it have the 2 1/2 inch outlet to fit up to stock exhaust? looks like it may be 3 in and out.

Random Technology has one listed for an 86-87 GN with a stock 2 1/2" downpipe part # 922507