hesitation problem

pizzaman

Having a bad hesitation problem with 1986 GN. It starts and idles fine but if I get on it at all it just hesitates and sputters. It will run but I have to use the gas pedal very lightly and ease into the throttle very slowly. I changed the fuel filter, air filter and plugs and wires. I have read that it could be a vacuum problem or the coil pack needs to be changed. Any suggestions.

Having a bad hesitation problem with 1986 GN. It starts and idles fine but if I get on it at all it just hesitates and sputters. It will run but I have to use the gas pedal very lightly and ease into the throttle very slowly. I changed the fuel filter, air filter and plugs and wires. I have read that it could be a vacuum problem or the coil pack needs to be changed. Any suggestions.

Same problem - like it is running out of fuel or necessary spark when rich.

Just for kicks try some "drygas", its possible you could have water contamination in your fuel system. It is that time of the year for condensation depending on where you are. Couldn't hurt.;)

Maybe the MAF or the vacuum lines from the turbo, (Y connector vacuum lines). Make sure the TPS is working correctly with the scanmaster.

I'm going for the coil pack first. It's dated 86 and may be tired. AAR to follow.

What should I do to test or see/smell to suspect a dying ignition module?

What should I do to test or see/smell to suspect a dying ignition module?

For any visible signs, look for any melting or gooey stuff, maybe one of the contacts shorting out, just something to check out, especially if it's that old.

if you have a digital meter it can't hurt to check your tps setting also. where are you guys located, if your near chi i have a spare coil and module that you could use to see if one is the problem

I threw some dry gas in it, the car has been in storage last 6 years.

Also replaced coil pack, but it was cracked at #6 and throws a spark down the tower to the mount screw. It was described as "Factory", but was in an unmarked envelope.:confused: I think I was sent a generic with a play on words. My local guy is getting me a GM coil pack today.

Anyway, I took the car out and it did run better,but sputtered at a much higher power demand. It has improved, but something else is still going on. I will start looking start at the tps and possible wait for dry gas magic.

Wile87 - Thanks for the coil/module offer, too far from home but much appreciated. :smile:

Depending on how old your catalytic converter is it could be clogged causing major backpressure on the turbo which could cause the hesitation...i had the same problem w/ my factory cat, threw a test pipe on and now she pulls hard w/ no hesitation

My car had a partial tank of 6 year old gas. I defueled it and filled it with Hi Octane pump gas, much better. :smile: