HEMI... whats it worth

MENTL231

I picked up a Hemi today. Its out of a 52 desoto. Its a 276 ci. It needs to be rebuilt but its all there. The tranny is still connected to it. I think its a 3 speed. Any guess's?

Value on those early hemis varies widely. Some have a funky long bellhousing bolt pattern which makes it tough to adapt a late trans. Also this was back in the day when the brands were actually independent, meaning all the brands had their own hemi, so don't expect many chrysler or dodge hemi parts to fit it. Bigger CI means bigger $$$$ Four barrel models are more $$$$, because a lot of people leave the stock manifold on their budget build/rat rod and they won't have to track one down. Dad has an early desoto hemi in the shed, I did some research to decode it, don't remember the dispcacement but it was in the twos, and the "gooroos" said it was better off left in the shed, and it had a four barrel manifold. Maybe they thought he'd give it away, I dunno. But it's not worth what a 392 is worth, and it's not even the same league as the 426. However it is a neat looking unique engine that will draw a crowd regardless of the car it's in, and there's always someone who'll pay a couple hundred for that priviledge. Tons of info on the web related to them. Hot heads makes a lot of hop up parts for any early hemi, but dollar for dollar it's ancient tech that is best left to the guys building period correct street rods. Hope this helps.

Thanks For The Input. I'm Not Sure Of What To Do With It Yet. Maybe Just Sit On It For A While.