HELP WITH VOLT light and fuse blowing 87 GN

hey guys im new to this forum i just bought a 87 GN thats stock, im having some trouble with 2 things, when i first got the car the battery seemed dead so we jumped it and started up fine but after we would take off the jumper cables the car would die immediately, so we put in a brand new battery and still did the same thing, then a brand new alternator, still same thing, i read somewhere that if your volt light doesnt come on when you open up your ignition that means the alternator wont be charging, so i noticed that my volt light doesnt come on and that none of the lights on the left side of the guage cluster come on at all. but the bulbs are all good, i then realized that fuse 19 (the one for the radio cig lighter interior lights) keeps blowing as soon as you put it in, does this fuse also control the volt light also or am i looking at 2 completely unrelated problems? Any help will be appreciated. All the other fuses in the fuse box are all checked out and good except for 19.

I ran a separate wire harness to the alt.
Basically the light complete a circuit to energize the charging circuit on the alternator.
Or
You can get the casper field fix for this.
The plastic paper behind the dash may be worn, broken and not making contact.

The fuse problem is a separate problem. Check the lighter plug for a short.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

The lighter plug is a poor design. When I first got my Gn that fuse kept popping. If I recall you need to rotate the lighter plug "shell" so it doesn't short to the side. Once in the right orientation mine stopped popping that fuse.

'87 GN 58K miles (rebuilt engine by Don Cruz at 47K), 6262 Billet Precision Turbo, Precision 60 lbs injectors, 206/210 Revolution X Roller Cam, Comp Roller lifters, Champion Iron Heads, Champion Ported Intake, T&D 1.65 Roller Rockers, 70 mm Hemco Upper Intake, 70 mm Acufab TB, PTC 10" TC 2800 Stall w/LU, Razor's Kit, ESP FMIC, B & M Shift kit, 3" GN1 DP w/46mm external wastegate, 2 3/4" Dual Magna flow exhaust, ATR Headers, 3.5" Kirbans Aluminium Driveshaft, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Spohn Boxed Rear Lowers, Spohn Rear Uppers, SD2 Chip, XP Plus Fuel Pump w/hotwire, Turbonetics Boost Controller, Scanmaster, Powerlogger, Hurst Line Lock, MT ET Streets 255/50-16