Help with trans temps!!

JR1964

Just installed 2004r last weekend. Mostly around town driving all week, some highway but only a
couple miles and usually in the evening. Trans temp never went above 180* (averaged 170*),
eng coolant temp averaged 180*-190*.

I took it for a trip today (late morning, outside temp about 80*-85*) and after about 10 miles on
the freeway going 65-70mph eng coolant temp came up to 195*-200* and TRANS TEMP came up
to 210* and climbing (in 4th with conv l/u). I pulled over and let it cool down to below 180*,
got back on the freeway and within 2 miles it was back up to 210*. Again I pulled over and cooled
it down to 170*, drove back home using side streets, coolant temp stayed below 185* and TRANS
TEMP stayed below 180*.

I am running an ext cooler in front of radiator used after rad cooler. My TH350 I just took out never
went over 180* even on the freeway averaging 65-75mph @ 3500rpm.

I'm thinking my trans cooling set up may not be enough for the 2004r as opposed to the
TH350 being the 350 has a 2400 stall conv and the 2004r has a 3000 stall l/u conv, yet I was
hwy driving with it locked up so I don't think it's a stall slippage issue.

Need some direction here, all suggestions welcome, Thanks! :smile:

Car Info:
'64 Chevelle 383ci, 3.73 rear posi, 2004r just rebuilt using Ck manual, billet fwd drum,dual fed,
current Ck shift kit, 3k l/u conv, ArtC deep pan w/700 filter, trans pressures great, shifts
firm (2-3 little harsh :wink:)

I don't think you have a problem. Remember, the OEM setup is tranny cooler in the radiator! So, tranny temp was at least as hot as engine coolant temp. Some of the newer engines run way hotter than that.
Conrad

Run strictly the external trans cooler. Don't run it through the rad at all.

I'm having a hard time with driving long distance on the hwy with trans temp at 210*+. My trip
was supposedto be 100 miles each way, after about 60 miles (45min's-1hr) I'd be going up in the mountains to about 8000ft (1-1 1/2hrs climbing avg35-50mph).

I don't like the idea of putting the trans under addt'l stress/load going up the mountain shifting
through all gears during various turns (several hairpins at 15mph) with the trans at that temp.

My concern is either there's an issue with the transmission, or the cooling system isn't efficient
enough for this trans as opposed to my th350 (which I have taken up there and trans temp stayed
below 190*).

I may bypass the rad cooler and run it down the hwy a few miles to see if there's a difference (I'll post findings).

Still open to other suggestions or things to check/test, Thanks.

Still runs HOT on hwy!

So I bypassed rad cooler using just ext cooler. Pretty much same results. Below 180* around
town, 210*+ on the hwy 65-70mph in 4th, tried with conv locked and unlocked.

When I had this trans in a few years ago I could cruise 80-90mph and avg 180* maybe 185*.
I had to take it out to rebuild back then due to improper band clearance and lost 2nd gear. I
haden't had time to go through it till recently. Same set up was used as far as rad cooler
and ext cooler I'm using now.

I'm hoping I don't have to pull the trans out! :confused:

Suggestions?

Trans temp should stay very close to motor coolant temp. With a second cooler inline it should run a few degrees below.

Check for flow restrictions in the lines and coolers.

Also double check fluid temp with a something else. The gauge sender could be a little off too. I've seen that before.

On cold mornings (even here in Florida) I find the tranny will not shift into OD 'til it warms up a little.

I run external cooler ahead of radiator cooler to let radiator cooler control tranny temp & on hot days the aux cooler helps increase overall cooling capacity.