Help with Starter Diagnose & Removal

I appreciate everyone responses. I'll look at the cables thoroughly tomorrow, hopefully. Maybe I may have missed something. We'll see.

Ok, I'm not sure how I missed this. Maybe my whole focus was more on the positive cable. I followed the ground from the battery and low & behold, it was not grounded:mad:.

I'm not sure how the heck I missed it the first few times. But it seems that whatever it was attached to, the bolt came loose & fill out. Now, I have to find out where it should be grounded to.

What an idiot! And to top it off, the area is hard to reach into. Once again, what an idiot!

Now, here's a request. Can someone tell me where exactly should this be ground to or 'maybe' provide a photo?

Once the starter is off then take it to AZ or Oreily's and have it tested. that should answer any questions about whether it's good or not. I've got a mini starter simular to a tilton and am happy about it. See if you can find one on evil bay and you should be ok.
Did you buy the starter off evil bay. I found the one for $79 and shipping is free. I pulled my starter and a stud was lose on the solenoid and that was the only issue, it works fine. Now I don't want to put that monster back on, I was looking at one from Kirban Performance. I just don't know if I would want to risk it with something from ebay, but if you're happy so far. Let me know.

Um...You do realize this is from 09, right?:rolleyes:
I do now, but believe it or not I found a mini-starter on ebay for $79.99, free shipping. I saw this post and thought I would ask, although I didn't realize it was 09. I guess I should pay more attention.

I do now, but believe it or not I found a mini-starter on ebay for $79.99, free shipping. I saw this post and thought I would ask, although I didn't realize it was 09. I guess I should pay more attention.

LOL There's a ton of posts on mini starters and I can tell you that we've used those $79.99 starters on a bunch of engines. They work well in severe conditions and high compression isn't a problem.;)

LOL There's a ton of posts on mini starters and I can tell you that we've used those $79.99 starters on a bunch of engines. They work well in severe conditions and high compression isn't a problem.;)
LOL, thanks for the information. Leave it to find a post that is nearly 4 years old, tomorrow is the 4th anniversary, and not pay attention to the date and act as if you just posted it yesterday. I got good laugh. Anyway, I don't think I have the mental strength to get under my car and bolt the original one back on. Damn that thing is heavy and hard to negotiate. If it is the original starter, than it is 28 years old. My car was, an 86, was purchased in Nov. of 1985.

Charlie, finally received mine and got it installed. I am very impressed with it. You can hear the difference in the cranking power. Hopefully it is durable. I paid $79 and that included shipping and handling. I have since found it on ebay for $45 and $50, in both cases that didn't include S&H. So it might be a little cheaper than $79.