help with roller cam?

sylvain

i nead some help with the instalation of my atr hyd roller cam. the problem if that i cant put the roller botton at the end of the cam, the stock style work fine but the roller one have not enough sroke.
if they have different style roller button? one for hyd cam and one for roller cam.
my cam is a atr rp309 hyd roller with the separate gear cam senser.

thanks

Don't use a spring loaded cam button on a billet roller cam, it will cause the small flange on the cam to cut into the block and destroy the block and maybe the whole engine if it's left that way. Call Dan at DLS and he will set you up with the correct thrust bearing for a billet roller. The cam should have .005-.008 end play after the front cover is bolted in place.
Am not sure what your saying but if the cam thrust bearing won't allow the cover to bolt on then the gear may need to be recessed for the washer if it's not already, if there is too much end play more washers may be needed on the bearing bolt, maybe you can explain a little more.
DLS 219-956-3653

9sec.

If it's an ATR billet roller it should have a bronze thrust washer to go between block and cam...those cams also come with roller cam button which works fine...the cam button I got with my ATR cam was bigger than the ones used for flat tappet cams...does it not fit into the end of the cam...not sure I understand what the problem is...

thanks guys for you reply,
the problem if that the cam came from a used engine that i bought, and wen i remove the front cover, it have just a big spring with a plastic at the end and the other end goes over the retening bolt of the cam.
i want to put my needle bearing cam button from my hyd cam but like scott say it doesnt go over the end bolt of the cam and have not enough stroke.

and yes my atr roller cam have this bronze thrust washer that goes between block and cam after that it have the timing gear, after it have a aluminum spacer, after it have the cam sensor gear and finaly the big washer with the bolt.

thanks

I had one of the first hrd roller cams ATR ever sold (early 90's) it was setup with a stock spring and plastic button (no thrust plate at that time) it walked into the block and destroyed the engine :mad: . I know what you have there, a roller cam does not need to be held from walking because there are no tapers on the lobes. Get the cam bolt with the bearing and shims plus a recessed gear washer and fit it correctly. The bronze thrust plate was interduced after we designed it here in house and passed the info along to Phil at ATR :biggrin:
FWIW at that time his cam was a off the shelf 220-220 solid roller profile that they sold with a set of hyd roller lifters, never was happy with it and had the cam reground to a 206-206 that little cam went deep into the 10's and is still turning to this date :cool: Pass me another beer Russ :D

9sec.