Help with price of GN

1NASTY69Z

Im looking at a 1987 GN.Heres my best description of the car.'87 GN,hardtop,pw,ps,ac,concert sound,no rear window defrost(odd).109,000 miles.This car is all stock even the stock air box is still there.Clean carfax.The good points,its unmolested,runs good,trans shifts firm,drives straight,wheels are good condition,has new tires,rad.,battery,feels tight,no rattles,seats are great condition,except the drivers side headrest...it needs one, looks like a dog chewed on it:confused: .Bad points...Its a 20ft'er. has a repaint with some body work showing on the pass.side door and rear quarter,front header panel was replaced sometime with a non GN one and you can see where the ornament used to be,has the typical rust starting under the doors and the bottom on the trunk lid,not rotted but its starting to rust there..Floors and under the car look good.Has a dent on the roof line above quarter glass on drivers side,needs one door seal,could use new rubber around drivers side door in the door jam,could use a rear bumper because it looks like a hole was drilled in it?? trailer hitch at one time?A/C needs to be fixed.Sounds like alot but Im being critical,like I said the car looks good from 20ft,runs drives and good.Now the price the guy was asking $9,000.As of now he came down to $8,000.It would be a great driver,not a show car but something to drive to work on nice days.What do you guys think the car is worth? I know its hard without seeing it thats why I tryed describe it the best I could.

what did you pay for the 1 in your sig?
It sounds high to me but I'm no expert-a guy I work with was talking about selling his (he bought it new), garaged kept with a garage full of NOS spares for about $8000. I think it had around 80k, hardtop with no rust, good 20 footer according to him. I never saw it to confirm. BTW, I'd borrow a paint thickness scaler to check that "with some body work showing on the pass.side door and rear quarter,"

My T I bought for $2500:biggrin: ....It needed paint badly,my neighbor bought it brand new,I have all the paper work window sticker etc.But that was a killer deal because I know him and he wanted it out of his driveway:eek: .I would buy it in a second for $7,000 but he wont come down below 8.I want a GN for a driver,I dont want a show car and I dont want to spend alot.Whats with the guy you work with? does he still have it?

You can get a straight, no dent GN with 20k to 30k less miles, 5ft paint or better, no rust, above average to good interior, $4 or 5 k in bolt-ons, and stock well running engine, for $10 to $12,000, IMHO. I'd pass on that car, you can find a much better TR that doesn't need any work.

Oh yea, good power on that T-type you have. I ran a very similar combo but it had a built small roller cam engine to achieve those times. I had the alky and 61 but stopped at 24 psi. How much boost did you run to get the 121 mph on a stock engine?

I would pass on it for that price.Unless you can get it for 4000.00 its not worth that kind of money. tim87tr is right you can get a way better car for a few dollars more. It is not good when you can tell where body work has been done on a car. just imagine what they tried to cover up. you always want to know where car was from. I have seen illinois cars that the owners said where clean. after inspection on a lift its a differant story. always look for heavy undercoating on these cars.covering up rust and holes is all their doing. sunroof and t-top cars are worse. look for a southern car and take your time. good luck

It's probably worth the $7.5K that would get the deal done for both parties. :)

I'd rather have a good original drivetrain than a perfect body. :cool:

Then again I'm in the minority usually on that point. :p

Should only take a 1.2K or so to fix the minor stuff you mentioned if you can do some or all of the labor, seals, headrest, bumper etc.

Lots of people here spend more time trying to get motors and trannies into their cars than waiting for their bodywork to be done. :frown:

GN's unfortunately have gone up in price the past couple of years if you want the car make the offer. :)

You can get a straight, no dent GN with 20k to 30k less miles, 5ft paint or better, no rust, above average to good interior, $4 or 5 k in bolt-ons, and stock well running engine, for $10 to $12,000, IMHO. I'd pass on that car, you can find a much better TR that doesn't need any work.

Ill take 2 of them for 10K each. 30K mile GN for 10 to 12...i dunno:cool:

Ill take 2 of them for 10K each. 30K mile GN for 10 to 12...i dunno:cool:[/QUOTE]

No, 20 to 30k less miles than what he was going to buy at 109,000 miles

Ill give some advice and try not to offend ANYONE on this board.
These guys on this board know these cars, and will help with whatever they know and are really helpfull.
I live in the midwest and these cars are Extremely hard to find.
Anything under $10,000 in a GN is simply buying someone else's headache.
I looked for over a year before i found and bought one in NC.
Very very good body and interior, low mileage, loaded with options etc.
but the car sat in someones garage alot.
The car has 60,000 miles, good and bad, but sitting sometimes is hard on them also.
Look at them on AUTOTRADER.COM and also EBAY is a good place, just dont look at the bidding ones. The low price's are only a hook. Look at the BUY IT
NOW ones to get a good idea of what the owner really wants for the car.

These cars are quickly becoming saturday night cruisers and when that little
pimped out honda civic with the crazy spoiler on the back pulls up next to you, chances are they'll LET you leave the light first.

Good luck !

Steve