Help with performance parts combo ('86-'87 setup)

Rob_85Ttype

I have collected most of the parts necessary to do a conversion to '86-'87 style.

Performance wise, I have a V4 intercooler, Mease 3" DP with integral wastegate (BEAUTIFUL PIECE), 65 mm Accufab TB, Poston's 107 cam (not sure if I will use it yet), and self ported heads that I carefully worked on for a year. These heads should flow a lot better, but I have no numbers to substantiate this. I will port the intake runners also. I have rebuilt the shortblock. My plans are for 50 lb injectors.

Question is: What turbo - converter - cam combination do you recommend that would be slightly larger/meaner than the TA49/TE44 turbo series setups. I was thinking about the TE51, but have become a little nervous about it due to some recent complaints. What about a TA60? I really don't want more than a 3000 stall, and I'm not sure if I want that. Maybe a 2800 stall. My goal is to enjoy this in town and wax 5th gen. Corvettes when needed. I might be persuaded to take it to the track one day.

I would stay away from the TE51 turbo. The exhaust wheels are coming apart and the vendors are not helping the situation.

See thread from REDS HOT AIR in the lounge....

ks

Originally posted by Rob_85Ttype

Question is: What turbo - converter - cam combination do you recommend that would be slightly larger/meaner than the TA49/TE44 turbo series setups. I was thinking about the TE51, but have become a little nervous about it due to some recent complaints. What about a TA60? I really don't want more than a 3000 stall, and I'm not sure if I want that. Maybe a 2800 stall. My goal is to enjoy this in town and wax 5th gen. Corvettes when needed. I might be persuaded to take it to the track one day.

IMHO with 50lb injectors a TE-60, 208-208 cam and a 2800-3000 stall 9.5 l/u convertor would be the ticket

TE60, 42.5 (or bigger) injectors, 2800 stall, 206/206 cam etc...
make sure your fuel and exhaust are up to it as well.

I run a te60 with 2800 stall and it spools good.

I have decided on the TE60 with a 2800 stall, and the 50 lb injectors. I am considering Comp Cams 206 or 212 with this combo. The 206 is the High Energy 252 cam, and the 212 is the High Energy 260 cam. Neither cam looks too radical to me, but I've never built a turbo Buick engine either. Which cam should I go with here.

I wouldn't be too afraid of a higher stall converter. I only wanted about a 3000-3200 stall so it wouldn't feel to radical while cruising the blvd down here. To tell you the truth the only time I can tell that I have a higher than stock converter is when I am parking the car, and I have to give it just a little more gas than what I was used to. I used to put it in gear and let off the brake and it would start moving, now I have to give it a little gas to move. Other than that I don't notice the extra stall in daily driving conditions. It is actually a lot smoother than the stock D5 too.

I would suggest you get the TE-61 instead of the 60 turbo. The 61 will work great with a 3000-3200 stall converter and the 50lb injectors and it's capable of mid 10's if pushed, but should be able to get you low 11's to high 10's easier than the TE-60 turbo. If your interested you should call and speak with John Craig at Limit Engineering. Also, another cam you might want to consider is the ATR 313B cam (208/201 degress of duration) cause this cam has proved to be very durable and have great performance in the cars I've seen that have it and it idles and sounds like a stocker. Just my .02 :)

I am running a te-61 turbo w/ pte .63 exhaust housing and a 3200 rpm stall 9/11" converter. Street manners are EXCELLENT and has plenty of go-power to run in the 10.7~6 range once I upgrade the heads. You can't even tell the car has a high stall converter unless I stand on the gas. My TR even pulled a solid string of mid 1.8 60 ft's last time I went to the track, launching off idle just for the heck of it!

Looks like you will be running a similar combo to what I have PLUS better heads (mine are just refreshed stock with a 3 angle valve job.) Best so far in "safe" mode (19lbs of boost, 28-10.5-15" slicks, 18° street chip & 100 octane homebrew) is a series of 11.7's @ 115.5 mph w/ mid 1.6 60 ft's (coming out crooked pre-HRParts control arm install, this has been fixed!) Also, I'm using a Conley's Perf. Plus spec 206/206 cam from Comp Cams & am more than pleased with it as well. :)

Doug C.

if 51 turbo's quit showing up at garret i'll finally get the call with their results of testing but seems that they keep showing up with the same problem..:confused:

so definatly hold off with buying a 51..results will be on the board soon.

you'll are forgetting the speedpro 204-214 cam it is a great cam for power throttle responce and good gas mileage too and holds good vacuum like a stock cam ...works great with vacuum brakes..:)