Help with parts selection for 2004R build

Rocketrod

I need some help deciding what parts to use when building a 2004R (lock-up). I will be using a CZ core out of an 86 Monte SS, I have two, and I will be doing the build myself. I have a copy of CK Performance's 2004R manual (excellent book) and have read practically every thread on this site concerning 2004Rs, but I am getting overwhelmed with parts selection.:confused:

The trans will be going in a 69 Camaro with a 355 SBC pushing about 350-375HP, which currently has a TH350 with a 2800 rpm stall and 3.73 gears. The car will be exclusively street driven, no NOS, but would like to build it to handle 450-500HP just in case I build another motor in the future.

Probably overkill but I was thinking of using the following parts ( I am undecided on the partsh with ?? after them) :

- CK Performance Stage II Master rebuild kit
- CK Performance billet forward drum??
- CK Performance performance servo
- CK Performance rollerized sun shell and low clutch housing package??
- CK Performance heat treated strator shaft??

What are your thoughts? Whats missing? Any suggestions?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance,
Rod

Where are you located?

I have a similiar combo, 355, +/-400 hp in my 71 Nova. Before I found this forum, I built it myself with a TCI kit, kevlar band, hardened stator support, and a TCI 3500 (?) lockup converter. I had a small problem about two years ago, where it seemed to be stuck in first gear (about 12k on the trans. after rebuild). I took it apart and found nothing wrong, except that *maybe* my throttle valve was stuck against my replacement lockup solenoid. :confused:

Put it all back together and it worked fine. Im not reall sure what was wrong, but the above is the only thing I remember as being a potential problem.

All went well for the next year, then I put some slicks on it at the track. It was test and tune night, and the track wasnt busy. I ran 4 back to back runs. On the fourth run, second gear was shot. Ive always used the stock second servo (non-GN) and had firm shifts with street tires when above my stall speed. Im not real sure if it was the slicks that overcame the band pressure/servo pressure, or if my stock pan and top feed filter (just recently learned this here) sucked air and burned the band up. Im sure the back to back passes didnt help either ( I do have a very large TCI filter with AN fittings and braided hoses all the way.

Due to not having the time to tear it all apart and fix it, I continued to drive it with a light foot for probably 1k miles. It kept getting worse, second slipping even more, third now getting aboused trying to make up for having no second gear. Its finally parked, and ready for me to disassemble. The autopsy will occur sometime next week hopefully.

I dont feel that the TCI kit was too bad. Im sure there is better, but mine worked OK. Definately dont use a small servo for second( I bought a PTS extreme for the next build). Definately dont use the stock pan/filter if your gonna go to the track, or accelerate hard often. Definately get a good band (Ive got the new wider band to go in next, along with a new drum that it rides on). For moderate performance (no slicks), I would say my build was fine using the parts I stated.

BTW- my car ran 12.7 @ 111 with a 2.1 60' time on street tires. With slicks I was down to 1.98 60' on the second run, and slowed from there as the trans fried.

I am in central Florida, and would be happy to give you a hand if you need some help. Im no pro, but I have some experience.

The hardened Stator shaft is a must. Stock ones wear out quickly. Harder rings for the pump are also a must, they also fail often stock & trash the pump & contaminate the torque converter.

The rollerized sun shell/low reverse housing is a real good idea. This weak point was mentioned in a TSB way back in 1981 on the 200. Less wear, fewer metal particles in the fluid.

And, yes, something to improve the shifting.

im glad you have found our manual usefull.with the shift kit you should have all you need.if you have any more qs call in and we can further advise you.