Help with oil pressure gauge

Mike70gtx

Just got motor back in after a new piston. Fired up and you could hear lifters a little and they quieted, then looked at auto meter electrical oil pressure gauge and it didn't move. I might have ran it 10 seconds. I did prime oil pump with drill in cam sensor and the drill bogged down and felt like it primed. I checked my wires and it all seems good. I cut one and hit it with a quick 12 volts and the gauge would move to the negative side. I did unhook my turbo line and fired it again and it shots a solid stream out. So I'm sure it's my gauge. How do I check it? It worked fine before I pulled motor. My idiot light does come on when you turn ignition and comes off when motor runs.

The wire from the sending unit? If so, why would that make it moved. I probably confused.

Get a mechanical oil pressure gauge, at least temporarily to verify the reading. Then cross check with the electric at the same time to see what it says. They could differ by a large margin.

I've never been a fan of electrical gauges. x2 on testing it with a mechanical gauge, just to make sure.

The wire from the sending unit? If so, why would that make it moved. I probably confused.

Because oil pressure gauges work off of ground. All the sending unit does it manipulate the ground to make the needle move. With the wire not hooked up the gauge should peg.

Check your wire running from the gauge out to the sending unit if it is nicked and grounded the gauge will read 0.