Help with oil leak ... ?

Jan Larsson

So new fresh engine, transmission been sitting for 2 1/2 year and I got it all back together end of last year ... installed brand new converter.

New filter and oil in transmission, filled converter with oil, had a problem to get the correct level to show on trans dipstick so might have overfilled slightly ... some leaks intially while sitting after driving it for maybe 40-50 miles but then went awat and oil level seems to have settled ok.

Driven total of 500 miles and car been sitting in the garage for nealry 2 weeks so pulled it out this morning and transmission oil been dripping from the inspection cover hole ... nice puddle under car ... not alot but I would say a 8 x 5 inch area cover by oil (concreate floor) so hard to say how much as it spreads quickly on the floor as you know.

Anyway, as I have had no oil leaking more then intially and suddenly I get this rougly 3 month or so later I'm wondering what it could be.

Any ideas before I take stuff apart?

This is a 89 TTA with the 200 trans.

leak

Check where the detent cable is connected,there is a rubber grommet,
thats were mine was leaking from. I just put a new trans in. and after 2 weeks it started to get nice size puddles. I first thought it was a pan gasket.
If thats your problem GM still has the grommet, its about $8.00.
Somthing to look for ,good luck...........Frank

Thaks Frank, I did replace that grommet when I put it all back together but I do remember it not seating very well (got a bit crooked if you like) ...

Can I change this grommet without removing the pan, si is it possible to unhook the TV wire from the outside you think?

I guess when sitting the oil in the converter will flow back and the level in the case will be above the oilpan etc ...

Would this leak then get the oil to drip down from the converter cover area? Looks like it's dripping from the hole in the middle of that cover ... car sits flat in the garage at the moment and I got more oil from that same area I can see ... :-(

Any chanse the front pump seal or similar where the converter connects might leak??

Pull the inspection cover and have a look. I'll bet the front pump seal has dried up from sitting so long.

So replaced the TV wire grommet on the transmission (GM part number is 25518260 if anyone need one, luckily I bought a spare just in case years ago) ... this was Saturday morning and at that time I took it for a short spin after I topt up about the qrt of fluid I lost (roughly) and it's been sitting until today and no leak whatsoever not even a drop :)

Took it for a longer drive today (40 min or so) to really warm it up and check the oil level and topped it up a bit more as it did only show at the bottom of the dip-stick.

So cross my fingers that took care of the problem. The old grommet was not seatet properly and got squashed when installed ...

The trick to install the grommet is to remove the TV wire at the transmission (10 mm bolt head and the unhook the wire from the "hook") ... remove old grommet and wipe area clean ... push down the new grommet in the transmission first then hook the TV wire up and push down the TV-wire plastic housing and secure with the 10mm head bolt. If you put the grommet on the TV-Wire housing first and try to push the whole thing into the transmission it wont work at least not for me. Oh and I lubricated the grommet etc with some transmission oil first as well.

grommet

Sorry , I did'nt get back to you sooner, glad it worked, mine had small cracks in it. Hope all is well with yours.............Frank