Help with a 4l60E?

jcj53115

I got a 2004 Chevy Avalanche1500 4L60E, fresh rebuilt trans. Problem is trans has no 2nd or 3rd gear. Trans has no miles on it, well maybe 3miles. No codes in system. Reverse engages good and strong as does 1st gear. When taking off in OD scan tool shows its requesting 2nd and 3rd with no rpm changes, flaring or slipping, trans holds 1st gear till approx. 40mph and when 4th is requested shifts straight to 4th from 1st. There is no change if attempt to shift manually thru the gears. Shift solenoids are clicking when actuated with scan tool and ohm out at 21 ohms.

Any insight here is greatly appreciated.

If you rebuilt it yourself did you air check all the pistons. 2nd is the band, 3rd is 3/4 clutches.. 0d is band/ 3/4 clutches. New spacer plate? Correct gaskets? Everything flat to prevent cross leaks.

If you rebuilt it yourself did you air check all the pistons. 2nd is the band, 3rd is 3/4 clutches.. 0d is band/ 3/4 clutches. New spacer plate? Correct gaskets? Everything flat to prevent cross leaks.

I did rebuild it myself, not my first but first to have problems with, only the 4th I've done. Air checked everything all checked good. New band, reused old spacer plate as check balls had caused no damage. Correct late style VB gaskets.
Dropped VB tonight, PITA by the way, due to long tube and 3 Y-pipe, VB gaskets all looked great and could easily see the impression of all worm holes in gasket, so seems to be sealing ok.

This is a truck i just purchased of CL with a bad trans. I know no prior history other then it had no forward gears when i bought it. Turned out to be a "Monster In A Box" trans with 5 pin. planets ect.... Tore it apart to find the forward sprag had basically exploded destoying front drum ect..... All new seals, clutches, sprag, front drum, pistons ect....

I have reverse, 1st and 4th gear. trans doesn't even seem to attempt 2nd or 3rd

Not sure what to tell ya? Just double check everything, is it possible one of the rings got cut on install.

What was it doing before the rebuild? I had my 99 burb having shifting probs and it was odd. A buddy suggested a new tps and that solved its probs. Just something to try.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

He has a scan tool, easy to watch for TPS sweep and drop out.

Might have a lot of trash in vb if it cratered like you say. What about the converter and coolers/lines. One of the line filters seems to be a good idea.
How are the solenoids for those gears? Do they test good? Do the clutches air test good?(i see you checked em)
As Steve sez, lots of things.
Did you put the scan tool on to see about the tps?
Pull the vb apart and clean out any debris.

Last edited:
I bet you have 1st and 3rd. You have a problem with the band or the servo. Its not applying.