Help...what turbo is this ? ?

clemsgn

I'm trying to figure out what I have for a turbo. The guy I got the car from said it was a "stealth 72" but after checking, it actually has a 68mm compressor wheel. The compressor housing has a 3" inlet and 2-1/2" outlet and a 55 A/R. The turbine wheel exducer is 2.54" with a 3 bolt precision .63 housing. any idea on what this is ? I don't know if this is a T-68 or what?

Thanks for any help.

That turbo is actually called a stealth 70. Its an older model but still a very good turbo.It didnt have a true 70mm wheelback then , but it was the same as the non stealth 70 mm turbos of the time. I dont think they ever built a stealth 72.

Well, the minor diameter of a P trim turbine is 2.54" so that seems reasonable (check to make sure your turbine has 11 blades to be sure). Pull the compressor cover off and measure the major diameter and see how that matches up to the various wheel sizes.

Thanks for the info Louie. As usual you chime in to help out others. I notice you help out all over this board !

Hello Carl, You're another one always there to help out whenever you can ! I beleive the exducer of the compressor wheel measures out to 3.58" , but I'll have to re-check later.

Carl, what have you got the TR running now ?

Thanks again for the help guys!

Precision's web site http://www.precisionturbo.net/turbochargers-display.php?company_id=101795&category_id=3027 lists a PT68 with 2.68/3.58" dimensions which matches what you have. Remember that most turbo names are something someone made up, not necessarily based on wheel sizes :). I found a map for a 68-1 compressor wheel online but not for a T68 (don't know what the difference would be). Anyway, should be a mid to hi 10 second turbo given that the T66's go mid to hi 10's with a bigger compressor housing. The little compressor housing will hurt you some but not too bad.

Car has been basically parked while I get around to fixing the axle bearings that are howling, sigh. I just got a pair of TA heads to put on, so maybe that will get me motivated? Naaaa :).

I noticed that info on Precisions site as well. I agree on the turbo "names" ....the numbers are hard to follow. I don't know if it would be called a T68 or what ? I don't know how to read compressor maps, but what does that one for the 68-1 tell you ?

By the way, the turbine does have 11 blades.

A new set of TA heads would get me motivated just a bit :D

Thank you