Help w/boost control

W

Wilecoyote

I bought an adj. wg actuator - one of the kirban types, I have it installed, how do I adjust it to produce more boost? I am getting around 9# according to the inaccurate stock indash - I have purchased some vdo gauges - just not here yet! I can back the screw off along the threaded part, but how do I make more boost. shorten the entire assembly, or lengthen it? Another question, on an adj. fuel reg - how do I adj. the base pressure up, by screwing the threaded piece into the regulator or backing it out more? I have an under the hood fuel gauge coming too!
Thanks for the help - I actually have my '87 gn idling well at ~800 or so rpms and driving/shifting/boosting pretty good considering I'm no mechanic and have had her tore down for 2+ months! With the help of the tr website and all of the tech articles I have printed off of there, I feel like I am starting to figure out what I am doing - and with help from you guys! Believe me I appreciate it, it has been a huge help and I'm just getting started.:)

Shorten the wastegate rod to raise boost.
Turn screw clockwise to raise pressure.You should set the base pressure with the vacuum line disconnected and a gauge installed.

You have to take the actuator arm off of the wastegate puck arm, loosen the jam nuts and shorten the rod. One full turn is approx 1lbs of boost. DO NOT ADJUST BOOST without some sort of scan tool. The last thing you want to do is turn up the boost and blow a headgasket, because you don't know how much knock your getting. Headgasket replacement can cost $700

I hear you black6pack - I am in process of buying a scanmaster and I have a knock sensor gauge in the mail, along w/boost and oil psi - so I will have those installed soon. I am pretty happy that my gn idles well and accellerates nicely, I still need to do some tings to the tranny and then the brakes, shocks, springs and so on. Anyway, so , I take the puck side off of the wg arm, screw it in 1 turn for 1 psi, then put it back on by pulling it - it is defintely under pressure in that direction! Then the shortened shaft fools the device into thinking it is already pushing before it actually starts to open the wastegate - sound right. Thats' my way of thinking on how it works. I think I will wait until I know I have the tune right - once I get my scanmaster then I am installing a thrasher chip - set for my 36# inj. and I'll go from there. Thanks for the help - on the fuel reg. I found an article that says to screw it in to increase press...........