HELP save a Stage 2 block , doner needed

BlownV6

I have a stage 2 block that has a good portion of the DS pan rail busted and gone from a rod failure. Otherwise it a pretty good block so its worth trying to save!! Odell tells me he knows a shop here in Ohio that can repair it if I come up with a 14 bolt block that I can remove part of the pan rail required to fill in the void.

Anyone have a junk block that has a good drivers side pan rail that I can have/buy??? I am not sure if a 20 bolt block would work or not?? I think it would require a 14 bolt donor block. Any help appreciated Mike

I may have one you can have, but shippng will be expensive.
Let me know if you find something closer. (I am in Houston)

I will try to get some pics tomorrow of the damage. Hopefully maybe someone can just cut the donor section off the block so we dont have to ship the entire block. Mike

Mike, I had a stage 2 on center with the cross bolted mains repaired by Rays Crack Repair (502-645-7444) in Campbellsville, KY about 3 years ago. He did cold fusion type welding on the block and I didn't have the missing chunk. He will give you the "grand" tour of his facility and explanations of the technique. He showed me a few examples of some tractor pull blocks that were damaged and put back into service and I was assured that my little turbo couldn't do more damage than those big blowers. Turn around time was less than 2 weeks. Needless to say I added a mid plate on the car and that block has seen about 2 hard years of service. I had a TE69 on it, just upgraded to a used gt4276 that I have had for a few years and will try it out soon.

This was a Nascar engine. Looks like it had a bearing issue and broke the rod cap into 3 pieces and pitchint the rod thru the pan rail. It was an Oliver rod. Mike

Mike, does it need to be a pan rail from a Stage II, or will a skirt from a production block work? I have a couple of junk production block 4.1s laying around. Let me know if that would work? I will hack a skirt off of one of them for you.
Brandon

Sorry I wasnt clear on that. I believe that a production donor would work just fine. If you have a junk one that you can cut up , that would be awesome!!! Happy to pay you something for it , your trouble, and the shipping. Mike

Mike, I will let you know for sure when I get home. I had a couple of junk 4.1 blocks last time I looked.

Sorry, only have part of the pass side Mike... Comes with a pan. ;)

DSC02756.JPG

Mike,
Apparently, my son did some scraping that I wasn't aware of? The 2 blocks that would have been easy to gab are gone, but I have one more that I have used as a jig. Nothing wrong with the block really, just one I picked to use as a jig for building engine storage cradles. It is tucked back in a corner. I will dig it out tomorrow, if you still want it?

Mike,

Have you checked with Ron Tarabori? He usually has a donor block laying around that might have the piece you need.

Neal

Mike,
Apparently, my son did some scraping that I wasn't aware of? The 2 blocks that would have been easy to gab are gone, but I have one more that I have used as a jig. Nothing wrong with the block really, just one I picked to use as a jig for building engine storage cradles. It is tucked back in a corner. I will dig it out tomorrow, if you still want it?

I appreciate the offer , but there is no reason to use your setup block. Im sure somebody has a good canidate there will to get rid of. Thanks for the offer. Mike

Mike,

Have you checked with Ron Tarabori? He usually has a donor block laying around that might have the piece you need.

Neal

Ron has owed me a pretty good chunk of money for about 3-4 years now. He is pretty hard to get in touch with now!!!
Mike

Mike, I think I might have one more possibility. I will have my son help me move a couple of motors tonite. I will see if the block I'm thinking of is still there. I will let you know.

Here is the damage. I basically outlined the area of the block I think I need. Any help here is appreciated!!! Mike

Attachments

• MVC-006S.JPG
    MVC-006S.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 124
  • MVC-007S.JPG
    MVC-007S.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 123
  • MVC-006S.JPG
    MVC-006S.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 130
  • MVC-007S.JPG
    MVC-007S.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 127
Ron has owed me a pretty good chunk of money for about 3-4 years now. He is pretty hard to get in touch with now!!!
Mike

It sounds like I'm not alone. He's owed me about a grand for better than 7 years. I'm not holding my breath at this point. That's the block you bought at the Nationals right?

Neal

No I took it with me to the Natls and put $400.00 on it. Had lookers but no takers so I think I will try to fix it. Mike

No I took it with me to the Natls and put $400.00 on it. Had lookers but no takers so I think I will try to fix it. Mike

I guess that makes sense. I saw it in the pits while I was looking for Lonnie Diers. I never did find him. :rolleyes: I should have known it was yours when the crank next to it had your handwriting on the counterweight.

Neal