Help putting a SBC into a g-body

KevinB

I plan on putting a small block Chebby into my Cutlass. It has a blown 307 in it now. I am going to retain the 200r4 and the a/c. What do I need as far as motor mount pads? I know the Monte Carlo motor mounts will work, but will the sbc use specific motor mount pads? Any other tips? The motor is out of a 88 Camaro so I am going to try and use the serp belt and all the brackets.

TIA

Kevin,
It's a bolt in. If you have the clam shell mounts that came on the Camaro engine, it'll bolt to the Monte mounts. The 2004R will bolt up to the engine. Monte rad hoses should fit. If you're going with headers, I've had good luck with the Dynomax ceramic coated 1 5/8" full length headers for the Monte. It's hard to beat them for the money. Is the engine going to be EFI? If it is, then you've got a little more work ahead of you. Good Luck.
Kevin

Kevin,
It's a bolt in. If you have the clam shell mounts that came on the Camaro engine, it'll bolt to the Monte mounts. The 2004R will bolt up to the engine. Monte rad hoses should fit. If you're going with headers, I've had good luck with the Dynomax ceramic coated 1 5/8" full length headers for the Monte. It's hard to beat them for the money. Is the engine going to be EFI? If it is, then you've got a little more work ahead of you. Good Luck.
Kevin

Thanks for the reply. No, the engine is a TPI but has had the TPI stuff swapped with a carb setup. Thanks for clearing the mount issue up. I am not sure if the Camaro mounts are there. Does the sbc use the same motor mounts and frame mount stystem our Buick V6's use?

I was looking at a cheap set of Hedman's and the Summit dual exhaust kit for this. Also am planning on notching the tranny crossmember for the dual exhaust.

Thanks again:smile:

You'll need both motor and frame mounts for a SBC. I bought mine for a Monte and they bolted right in.

Kevin,
Like Dusty said, the Buick V6 stuff is different from the SBC stuff. I still have a couple of SBC frame mounts from a Monte if you're interested. I forgot about having to notch the crossmember. You're on top of things.
Kevin

SBC Swap article in Hoot Rod Magazine

Kevin,
There is a very good article, relating to the swap in which you are interested, in the June 2004 issue of Hot Rod Magazine. It is on page 104 in the "Pit Stop" section.

It gives a drawing along with part numbers. It is about putting the SBC into an '86 Regal, but both it and the Cutlass are virtually the same under the skin.

I think the article would help keep you on the right path .

Good Luck!!!
Race

Isn't a 307 a small block chevy?
There is a 307 sbc. There is also a 307 sbo that came in the 80's Regals and Cutlass'

Here's some pics of the conversion I did. Even have A/C:smile: The serp belt setup is off a late 80's TPI engine from a Camaro.
100_0765Large.jpg

100_0764Large.jpg

did you use that with a long style waterpump?

There is a 307 sbc. There is also a 307 sbo that came in the 80's Regals and Cutlass'

Here's some pics of the conversion I did. Even have A/C:smile: The serp belt setup is off a late 80's TPI engine from a Camaro.
100_0765Large.jpg

100_0764Large.jpg

On my sons MC we removed the computer controlled 85 305 & replaced it with an 82 350 Truck motor. No issues. We went with new 4bbl setup & HEI ignition to bypass the computer crap.

Kevin,
There is a very good article, relating to the swap in which you are interested, in the June 2004 issue of Hot Rod Magazine. It is on page 104 in the "Pit Stop" section.

It gives a drawing along with part numbers. It is about putting the SBC into an '86 Regal, but both it and the Cutlass are virtually the same under the skin.

I think the article would help keep you on the right path .

Good Luck!!!
Race

do you have the issue ? if so could you please scan it and post it up . :) Thanks .

did you use that with a long style waterpump?

That is a long nose water pump, if that's what you're asking. Long nose water pumps have been in use since 1969 on all small block Chevy engines except the ones in the Corvettes; they continued to use the short style.

v8 swap

You can also use the serpentine setup off of a 91 S10 blazer 4.3, I picked up my parts that included all the pulleys, brackets (without smog pump) alternator, idler pulley and brackets from the junk yard (with a recently new power steering pump) for about 45$. blasted and painted and it bolts right up. make sure its the old style block and it will work :D

SBO swap

Hey,

Be Different! A 350 Olds is a direct bolt in! Everything from the existing 307 swaps over.

As for the TH200R4, it only bolts up IF you have the multi-pattern bellhousing. Those can be hard to find. So if the existing trans is a BOP version, you need an adapter. Not a big deal, but moves the trans back around 1/8 (.125") from stock. The adapter comes with spacers for the converter to keep it locked into the pump.

Another way to go is using the BBO family of engines (400, 425, 455 - 403 is a SBO). This should also bolt right in. Accessories are in the same location as the 307.

The Monte 305 is a computer controlled carb set up (LG4 & L69) on a factory aluminum manifold. Lots of folks swapped the computer "crap" for an early HEI & Q-Jet. Not sure how to address the lock-up feature of the trans if you go this route. Could source the brackets from the junkyard, millions of Monte's, Impala's & Caprice's out there.

easy swap. My 83 regal was a V6 car, when I bought it, there was a Buick 350 in it ( ran bad, needed overhaul, didnt have the money at the time)

I originaly put a SBC 305 in from my 87' chevy caprice, used alot of parts from that car. (motor brackets, AC system, etc)

as far as motor mounts and headers, just get Monte Carlo parts.

I had a set of cheap Flowtech headers from JCWhitney that were like $99.99 and fit great.

W/ my current 350 I have hooker ceramic coated headers, much more quality header, thicker flanges, bigger tubes,but the fit is very tight, and getting at spark plugs is a PITA....