Help, Oiling Problem?

ej howe

Started my new on center S2 today for the first time with the valve covers off to check oiling. ( Dutweiller system ) Plenty of oil on Pax side rockers but nothing on Drivers side. Pre lubed with drill, no luck, started engine ran at idle for 2 or 3 minutes, no oil. plenty of oil press. 90 at start with pick up at rear of engine. Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks , EJ.

Does it go something like this...

Oil out from pan to pump...then to filter...then main outlet from filter to the 45 degree bung in the top front center of the block? Pushrod oiling?

Or do you have the rocker oiling into the head then up through the hollow rocker shafts? If this method did you make sure the oiling hole in the pedestal lines up with the oil hole in the rocker shaft?

Depends

The drivers side lifters get their oil from the front journal. lDoes the cam have a groove in the front journal? If not did you put a groove in the block under the bearing?

And

You have the oil lube holes in the front bearing oriented correctly (pass. side @ 8 o-clock and drivers side @ 2 o-clock).

Did you drill the passage to feed the lifters? Unless someone else drilled it, the block will have a dead end passage behind the front cam bearing (2 oclock). This passage needs to be drilled through to the lifter galley.

Thanks Guys for your input, The short block was prepped and assembled buy a shop in Houston that builds race engines and is familiar with the stage 2 machine work required, I understand that still does not mean the cam bearings were installed properly but at this point I can't think of anything else that would cause this problem.
Thanks again,
EJ.

One other issue might be the oil gallery plugs, especially the PS. If it's in too deep, it'll block oil to the front cam bearing cross-over passage. On my on-center, even with short plugs, the pipe threading was done a little too deeply. Probe around behind the plug to make sure there's an opening.

Sounds like the oil feed hole was not drilled. Like Cal stated. If you run a solid roller cam, it isn't needed except to oil the rockers. You can externally feed the rockershafts, though, and not have to COMPLETELY disassemble your engine and drill it, clean it and re-install the cam bearing. I would go external feed and be done with it. Hollow shaft, and oil feed through the head. Use a -4AN and pull oil off the front of the block next to the oil inlet. There is a 1/8 pipe hole there, just for this purpose. (StageII on center block, if not, install a Tee somewhere) Hope this helps. Kinda funky, but it will work. If you have a hydraulic roller cam, then it will NOT work. They need oil pumped through them. The lifter bores need to be drilled too, if you have a hydraulic roller.
That oil feed transfere hole is real easy to miss/forget. I almost did on the first StageII I built many years ago. I caught it when spraying brake clean through all oil holes and blowing them out just prior to assembly. It was puddling in the cam bearing journal. And I thought, Geeze...why is it doing THAT???? Then I looked, and 'bout passed out. Glad I caught it. Whew!:)

Sounds like the oil feed hole was not drilled. Like Cal stated. If you run a solid roller cam, it isn't needed except to oil the rockers. You can externally feed the rockershafts, though, and not have to COMPLETELY disassemble your engine and drill it, clean it and re-install the cam bearing. I would go external feed and be done with it. Hollow shaft, and oil feed through the head. Use a -4AN and pull oil off the front of the block next to the oil inlet. There is a 1/8 pipe hole there, just for this purpose. (StageII on center block, if not, install a Tee somewhere) Hope this helps. Kinda funky, but it will work. If you have a hydraulic roller cam, then it will NOT work. They need oil pumped through them. The lifter bores need to be drilled too, if you have a hydraulic roller.
That oil feed transfere hole is real easy to miss/forget. I almost did on the first StageII I built many years ago. I caught it when spraying brake clean through all oil holes and blowing them out just prior to assembly. It was puddling in the cam bearing journal. And I thought, Geeze...why is it doing THAT???? Then I looked, and 'bout passed out. Glad I caught it. Whew!:)

Correct me if I am wrong, this will only work if he is using Stage heads.

Are you guys talking about drilling through the lifter bore into the oil gallery? The reason for the little screws/plugs in the lifter bore inside the valley.

Another thought: Can't you tie the galleries together at the rear of the block in the bell housing area instead of taking the motor apart. Just need to drop the trans and make a line up.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Correct me if I am wrong, this will only work if he is using Stage heads.

Are you guys talking about drilling through the lifter bore into the oil gallery? The reason for the little screws/plugs in the lifter bore inside the valley.

Another thought: Can't you tie the galleries together at the rear of the block in the bell housing area instead of taking the motor apart. Just need to drop the trans and make a line up.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Yes, sorry that was assumptive on my part.:redface: I assumed that with an on center StageII engine he was using StageII heads. But, you're right, a cross-over hose between the oil galleries at the back of the block would also solve the problem. Good call. Sometimes you just can't see the forrest through the trees.;)
Yep, do like Billy says, and install a -6AN cross-over between the rear oil gallery plugs. Just remove them and install (2) 90* 1/4" pipe to -6AN (or JIC) elbows and a section of either Push-lock hose or braided steel. That should solve the problem. If you are running StageII heads, then you can use the factory shaft oiling option listed above. If you have GN1 or TA heads, then you will have to do as Billy suggested, or drill the oil cross-over passage under/behind the front cam bearing.

Just wanted to thank everyone that responded to my oiling problem, this was the first time I asked for help and was amazed how many of you took the time to let me hear your thoughts. You all know the cost of building a S2 and no one wants to take chances. The engine needs to come out to find out what is not correct, I am out of time and patients at this point to continue so it will be done another day.
thanks again,
EJ.