HELP! new GN owner- many ??

F

FNGNG

Hello everyone,

I am brand new to the GN scene as an owner. I guess I should start by filling you in on my situation. My father bought an 87 buick GN off the showroom floor in late 87 possibly early 88. I remember when he brought it home-that new car smell. I remember going to firebird raceway for the friday night drags-those were some of the best times I can ever remember having with my dad. I became estranged from my father at the age of thirteen.

More about my father- he was a machinist/ racer by trade and a truck driver by career. He rebuilt his first engine at 13 and was a genius with anything mechanical. In his younger days he set five track records at old Beeline raceway here in AZ. He obtained a sponsorship deal with chevy one week before he was drafted. He served his time and took a hiatus from racing, started a family and did not get back in it untill a year before he purchased the GN. He past away on thanksgiving day 2001 at the age of 58 alone in North Carolina.
Maybe a little too much background- but I am trying to establish my heartfelt connection with GN's as well as the fact that my father knew what he was doing when it came to performance.

Now I have just inhereted my dads car. I have no true idea as to what all has been changed on it but I do know this through extra parts that are around and receipts that my dad kept:

heads, turbo, injectors, headers, intake, chip, fuel pump, regulator, cam, nitrous kit that has now been removed, and a ton of suspension, drivetrain, and body upgrades all for the 1320.

The best timeslip I could find read 12.30's w/o nos (my dad kept meticulous records-air bag psi, tire psi, air temp, boost at launch, etc) and that was before most of the mods-it was in 1990 and 75% of the mods were after that date untill 1993. I have to believe the car reached the mid 11's.
I know from family that the car sat in storage in NC from 1995 untill apx. 2000 when he moved it to a carport at his house where it sat untill I went back there at the beginning of this year. Family and friends all were sure that there was nothing wrong with it when he parked it. I flushed all of the fuel out, pulled the plugs, oiled the cylinders, changed the oil and filter, cranked it with no plugs to get oil back where it's supposed to be, put some new gas in with some 104 octane boost (I remember my dad using it), buttoned everything back together with new goodies and fired it up. I let it idle for 15-20 minutes and rechecked everything.
Now I know a thing or two about performance as well- I owned a 1990 IROC with the 350 TPI and got it to a best of 12.5 in full street trim. I know- thats not a huge accomplishment but the intake had never been off and I was proud of it. Rebuilt my first motor at 16 and have 17 builds under my belt as of now. Anyways, I understand most principles of just about any sensor and how it incorporates with the 'puter, sorry- ECM.
My problem is I kind of don't know where to start with this one- most of my knowledge comes from hands on or reading Hot Rod or Carcraft, I have hundreds of them stacked up everywhere. 15 million SBC builds and can't find even one where they go in depth as to tuning and troubleshooting and combonations that work with the 3.8.

Problems:
-real rough idle below 1000- sometimes stalls
-varying idle-intermittent, it will bounce from 700 to 1300(apx). fuel pressure varies from 35-42 directly with RPM (idle=35, 2000+ = 42 +/-)
-can't spool up above 3-4 lbs at launch
-launch is SUPER soft- won't even break the tires loose but pulls REAL nice from 2000 on when building boost (gets good scratch on the 1-2 shift)
-pops on the 1-2 shift @ 15-16 lbs, I don't think it is from the wastegate as the car stumbles a slight bit during this pop. Does not do it near as bad on the 2-3 with the boost being same. I am thinking lean cond. due to lack of fuel.
NOTES:
-there is some type of two-stage fuel press reg that is controlled through a switch in the ashtray compartment. I can hear a pump kick on at the rear that coincides with the switch- the fuel press flickers but remains steady at 35 at idle. When the boost hits apx 7-8 lbs the press jumps to 55 +/- with the switch on. Without this secondary pump on, the car drives normal but stumbles over it's own tires when put under a good load (4lbs+ boost).
-I have yet to change the fuel filter, I know-it could solve alot I have a new one sitting here just haven't done it yet. But I think this problem extends beyond just a filter.
-haven't had it to the track yet- just dug out the old VC 2000 portable drag strip and haven't had a chance to try it out.
-fuel pressure readings may be inaccurate as the gauge that is mounted is an old tester type gauge and is really weathered.

Any suggestions on where to start? A series of tests that I can perform with the VOM to eliminate as many items as possible? I have heard about scanners and laptops with programing programs and links to burn chips. Any help in the right direction?

Wow, this turned out a little longer than I expected. If you made it this far- thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Victor Solesky

Welcome aboard Victor...

Links: www.gnttype.org

http://www.geocities.com/rad87gn/index.html

The first link above is sort of like the Turbo Regal "Bible". There's a ton of info concerning maint., electrical, & performance topics there. It's a very good place to learn about the car.:)

Second link is a board member's site (Chad S.) that has some very helpful info as well. As you know, these beasts are somewhat different & most of us start learning by reading the above & going from there.

I am not familiar with the scan tool you're using, but it may be a good idea to invest in a scanmaster to start off. They're very popular & used by many of us. You can moniter the various sensors & such while driving to get an idea what the car is doing at different speeds, loads, ect.

Chip programming has evolved alot over the years & the chip burners seem to really have a handle on what these cars like & don't like. I understand you're not sure exactly what chip is in there now, so either verifying that or getting a new one would be a wise move. The chips are matched up with whatever type of injectors are in the car. Look for a number and/or color on the injector & we'll try & identify it for you. We may be able to identify the chip as well. It's located inside the ecm on the passenger side floorboard. There's a plastic cover that you'll need to remove to access it.

The idle problem may just be a sticking IAC (idle air control valve). They sometimes need adjusting. I'll give you the link to this procedure in a couple minutes. (I'll find it & paste it).
http://www.geocities.com/rad87gn/tech/IACTPS.html

What plugs are you using Victor? Most of us use AC-R43TS's gapped .032-.035. Most of us start at .035. These cars can be real sensitive to different plugs/gaps. Popping is
usually ignition related (plugs, wires, coilpack, ignition module).

Detonation, or knock retard, can also be the culprit here. Lack of fuel will certainly cause detonation. Is there aftermarket gauges in the car? The two most important ones to watch are the boost gauge & knock gauge.

There are a few board members from Arizona on this board. Nick Micale & azgn are two of them. They have alot more knowledge & experience with these cars than I. Heck, if you aren't too far from them, I'd try & set up something & go see them. Nick wrenches on these things everyday, & is well respected in the TR community. I'll try & post his addy for ya. Anyway, I know I didn't answer all your questions, but hopefully the links above will help get you started on learning these cars. You'll find more info than you probably even hoped for here. There's alot of years of experience on this board & the trouble-shooting help is overwhelming at times. That is a good thing.:) Here ya go bud: Nick Micale
3334 W. Marconi Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85053
602-866-9908
arizonaGN@earthlink.net
www.ArizonaGN.com

WELCOME ABOARD!!

I can only echo what carolinaturbo6 has said.
My recommendation is to get with board members azgn, or Nick Micale. I don't know exactly where in AZ they are, but they're two of the best close to you. I would ask them for some help getting it sorted out. Sounds like there's some fuel system bugs to work out. Also getting the throttle body adjustments (IAC and TPS) will do wonders for the cars idle and off idle manners.

But get with those two guys, they won't steer you wrong.

BTW, here's azgn's number: 480-563-8078

Take the 104 octane booster and throw it in the trash. You would need 18 gallons of the stuff to get to 104 octane. Only run the highest premium you can find.

You have a car most of us would dream to have started off with. You should take the next several months reading this board and figuring out what you have.

Since your old man did the mods great advances have been made in:
Fuel pumps. A single Walbro 340 is simple and should handle all your needs

Chip. Whatever chip is in there plan on replacing it. Once you figure out your injectors/turbo/stall/etc. you can order the right one

Scan tools. Turbolink and Scanmaster are the two best scan tools for beginners, DirectScan for more advanced users.

Definitely get ahold of the guys mentioned above in your area. They can identify most of the upgrades you have instantly and get you going

READ THIS BOARD! All the information you will ever need is right here.
Good luck and welcome to the darkside

wow, there is an EXTREME amount of traffic here!

thank you all for the warm welcome.

I will follow every lead.

Thanks again,

Victor Solesky

welcome aboard!! you might also want to start by checking all vacuum lines this could also cause some of what you described.

Any idea where he (we) could find a complete engine vacuum diagram? the one under the hood leaves out a couple details...
Jeff

give Nick a call and go meet him (602-866-9908)

I'll be glad to help you out also, but you really need to have Nick take a look and let you know where you are

if you want to talk to me, 480-951-0376 at the office and 480-563-8078 at home

there are lots of GN guys here!

thank you.

AZGN, I will give you a call as soon as I can get some free time at a decent hour. Did I see scottsdale as your loc? I am far SE Queen Creek, South East of Mesa about an hour from snotsdale... I mean Scottsdale:D Do you go to PIR or Firebird? Would love to meet up with you.

I am using AC delcos @ .035, not sure of the #-whatever the OEM replacement is. My dad always used Bosch platinums-still had em in when I got it.

I checked all the vac lines-first thing. the one that y's off under the turbo that goes to the WG popped off a couple times-it's oily and doesn't like to stay on.

The only reason I used the 104 was my dad dabled with it and I was not sure if the compression had been raised enough that it had to have race gas. I doubt my dad would've done that as he kept it as a daily driver-even to work and back-1 hour each way! but I wanted to be safe and the 104 was the only thing I had any experience with.

look forward to talking with you all.

Victor