Help My 85 National still wont start

nhrabill

Full of Hot Air
Hi all I posted up here a week ago about my 85 National that still won't start in hopes you might point me in the correct direction.

Problem
I have spark and fuel pressure but car will not start. I shot a little starting ether into the throttlebody car kinda starts spits and sputters then dies I hear the fuel pump rebuild pressure.

I do not know how to check to see if injectors are working?

I checked all fuses under dash all appear good is there another place? and wich fuse is for injectors? car is a stock 85 with 67K miles.

I just added another couple gallons of gas and injector cleaner in it to try and help it out.

Could this be a cam sensor I hear so much about and if so where is cam sensor located and look like? I am broke and being forced to sell car so I need to get this girl moving any information or suggestion you may have will be greatly appreciated.

no i do not have diagnostic tools to read codes

Thanks again
Bill
NHRABill@Yahoo.com

well youre not going to have any codes oif you arent getting a service engine soon light

you can go to autozone and buy a "noid" light it plugs into the harness in place of an injector and lights up everytime the injector should spray this might help a bit make sure youre getting fuel signal

no start

Does the service engine soon light come on when you turn the ignition key on (before you hit start position)?
If not recheck the fuses and the orange wire on passenger side under hood close to the battery.
If yes then look for corrosion on the wiring connectors top side of the ECM if you have T tops you may have water leaks (I did) causing bad connections.
Did you change/move the cam sensor? Was the car running with the cam sensor in its present setting. Also what was done to the car since the last time the engine ran, that might be a clue as to the source of the problem.

Peter

I had prblems with few 84-85 not starting, check the plugs are they fouled out how about the charge in the batery. make sure you have good juice in it. those 84-85 are goofy

good luck
Prasad

A few no start conditions Ive had on a TR(s) were caused by the CTS, crank sensor (on a 3800 NA car also), and bad injectors that somehow became locked and just dumped gas flooding the engine everytime you tried to start it (rare situation maybe).
Would be nice to have some sort of scantool, even if its an el cheapo, or if you could borrow from someone/somewhere. There is more to the C3I ignition than just getting spark and fuel (its not your old carbed chevy). The coolant temperature sensor will cause a no start condition if it is bad.
You can try the noid light as mentioned to see if the injectors are firing like they should. They should not be simutaneously firing (would set a code 41). If so there is no cam signal being recieved by the module. If injectors check out okay, then cam sensor is probably okay, since it basically regulates injector firing. The c3i module must receive a signal from both the cam sensor and crank sensor for the engine to start. Crank sensor would be the next place to look.
Should be enough to get started, and keep you busy for a little bit. Try this stuff and what has already been mentioned in previous posts first. How was the car running before and how long ago was it running? Was it sitting for a long period of time during the winter?
Oh and the 84/85 and 86/87 setups are virtually the same other than configuration and the addition of a few items (like an intercooler). There is quite a bit that they share in common, the basics operate on the same principles. One example is the ignition system.

Thanks for all the info.

I just replaced battery so thats good. PLugs are all new they are fine. I was also just told that seen as I was getting the car to spit and sputter after shooting a little starting fluid in it then it couldn't be cam or crank sensors. I am not sure where the temp sensor is located all I see is the one on the front of engine for idiot light. I will test juice to injectors tomorrow then that will be 1 more possiblity resolved

Thanks again
Bill

Car was running pretty good before problem started I was very low on gas when I parked it for the 2 weeks I was on my honeymoon. I came back and wham she don't want to move. It has been sitting since beginning of october now.

The more i read and try now the more I think clogged injectors or no juice to the injectors.

Thanks to everyone helping me narrow it down
Bill

Which part of the country do you live? If weather changed for the winter and it sat that long with little gas in it, might have crap in the tank/lines from moisture build up.

I live in NJ I did add 4 gallons of gas and some injector cleaner. I just purchased a test light and a cheap scanner to get error codes from Pep Boys and will update you later I am off to go try and get her going

I found the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know how or why this stuff happens to me!! I went out to the parts stor bought a el cheapo scanner for $30 and a test light I tkled the problem again injectors are getting juice service engine light would not come on so I was pissed.

I was to the point of frustration when I yanked the chip from the computer and tried to start the service engine light flashed this time ???? I replaced chip and pushed computer out of way and car started Yeeeehaah!!! but that was not the problem after 10 minutes of running I was confidewnt for once down the block

It stalled and wouldn't start no service engine light?? I was about to lose it stranded 2 blocks from home when I started to take a close look at the computer trried the same as I did to get it to go and nothing.. I was so mad I wanted to tear the computer out and kick it so I started to take computer out of car when!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is right there was corrosion in pins #11 12 13 14 15 16 Heck Pin#16 on the top was so coordced it came off :eek:
I quickly waled home and started looking for the computer that was in car when I bought it (Ireplaced the original because the previous owner for some reason took the casing off of it.

I went back to car plugged the original naked computer back in and voila it started !!!!!! Came home and here I am typing to you
all.

I just wanted to thank everyone for all their help I could not have diagnosed the problem if it wasn't for everyones encouragement and ideas So a big THANK YOU to all.

Bill Manning
NHRABill@Yahoo.com
www.ServiceGeek.com