Help Me Tune

you don't have this??????

images

upload_2016-5-5_22-55-57.jpeg

If the answer is no................

Then you have got a real problem my friend. :jawdrop: This is easy to install, and easy to correct. But I would wonder.........
Where the hell did it go?:eek:

If this is the case, I believe you may have found the answer to your knock problem.

Last edited:
If the answer is no................

Then you have got a real problem my friend. :jawdrop: This is easy to install, and easy to correct. But I would wonder.........
Where the hell did it go?:eek:

I this is the case, I believe you may have found the answer to your knock problem.
I agree with NY, and what is this "v" slot ? something someone made "custom"?

Either the mount is gone,different tranny, bolts gone from mount and studs snapped of. Either way your entire engine is moving around, obviously do not drive like this, hopefully no real damage has been done.

If the tranny mount is missing or needs replaced, you might consider replacing the motor mounts at the same time.

If the tranny mount is missing or needs replaced, you might consider replacing the motor mounts at the same time.
I going to suggest the same thing, at least give them a good inspection!

Here is the V slot I was talking about. I do know its the correct tranny as I had it rebuilt about 15 years ago by one of the local so called experts. That's a story for another day. There nothing preventing the tranny from going up. 1/8" is easy with 16" pry bar.

Attachments

• tranny view.jpg
    tranny view.jpg
    811.4 KB · Views: 143
I can't remember exactly and my car is in the paint shop so i cant look for you but there is somthing wrong there. Im not positive but i think the rubber or in my case poly mount is missing unless its hidden in the pic. Maybe one of the tranny guys chime in for you.

the V is supposed to be a solid block of rubber or Urethane as per the picture posted previously.

http://www.turbobuick.com/attachments/upload_2016-5-5_22-55-57-jpeg.279264/

Is that a stock GN Crossmember something does not look right?

I use a Monty cross member and a urethane mount, is the mounting point centered under the tail of the tranny or offset?

If its centred you need a monty carlo mount Energy Suspension Part# 3.1158G

Last edited:
Here is the V slot I was talking about. I do know its the correct tranny as I had it rebuilt about 15 years ago by one of the local so called experts. That's a story for another day. There nothing preventing the tranny from going up. 1/8" is easy with 16" pry bar.
The rubber is missing. The v-slot you speak of, seems to be the metal flanks of the part that carries the rubber. The rubber is what binds the connection between the two.

So, yes! Your transmission is just resting on the crossover! Get a new trans mount. Autozone has Energy Suspension replacements. But I think you need an offset plate for a stock crossover.

Or...........Call any TR vendor on earth and I guarantee they have a dozen stockers sitting in a bucket somewhere.

The rubber is missing. The v-slot you speak of, seems to be the metal flanks of the part that carries the rubber. The rubber is what binds the connection between the two.

So, yes! Your transmission is just resting on the crossover! Get a new trans mount. Autozone has Energy Suspension replacements. But I think you need an offset plate for a stock crossover.

Or...........Call any TR vendor on earth and I guarantee they have a dozen stockers sitting in a bucket somewhere.
By the way.......................Do this now.;)

Also, don't stop your inspection. Look around. Move things. Wiggle and shake.

Never know what else you may find lurking in the shadows.

After looking at the pics from NY Twin Turbo I can see how this will fix the problem. The new ones are L bracket which would lock the trans and crossbar together. On mine they are two separate pieces or the rubber part is broken. I will pick one up tonight.

They have the stock replacement for 5$ at autozone. :) There is also ratchet strap from an alternator eye bolt that hooks to the frame. Are these helping the motor mounts or should i remove it?

They have the stock replacement for 5$ at autozone. :) There is also ratchet strap from an alternator eye bolt that hooks to the frame. Are these helping the motor mounts or should i remove it?
I guess you can leave it for now. I, and most other TR owners used the ratchet strap for years. But once you get it all together and tight, and your knock goes away, then maybe take it off. Then see if your still knock free. If it comes back......then consider H&R motor and tranny mounts. Or at least new stock replacements. This way you can do away with the old way of doing things.