Help me have a fighting chance in this race !!

434nova

I have a buddy that has a notch back mustang , it's a pure racecar , slow but still a racecar. His mustang weights 2700 #s with him in it. He has a 13.1 compression race gas 434 small block chevy , solid roller cam , dominator carb , etc. Car is setup for drag racing , 4.56 gears , 12 point cage , turbo 400 trans transbrake 6000 stall. All the race car stuff. The funny part is he thinks my buick should run him head up. His car like I said is slow for what it is. He has gone 9.70s @ 137 mph he has been 1.38 60 ft also. Now my buick is a true street car pump gas and alky ,full interior , ac , heat , power steering , etc. All the comforts of a daily driver. I need you guys help to get me at least a 9.90 capable to run him. If he is only a tenth or 2 faster I'll try him anyway. My car has full suspension front and rear double adjustable upper and lower trz arms with double adjustable coil overs front and rear. Motor has made 560 rwhp on 23 #s and now I am running 26#s. I have 30 over forged pistons , rods with bolts , stock crank , billet mains , billet hydraulic roller 206 cam from either weber or eastern , fully ported gn1 heads , 72 # injectors , alky control kit , TE45A turbo , eastern front mount intercooler, fast xfi , 3 inch Terry Houston downpipe, stock headers reconditioned, 200 trans built and has a 3200 nlc 9 inch art carr old school converter , fab 9 rear with 3.50 gears , 28 x 10.5 slicks, not sure what I missed.

What would you guys change to get me in the 9s to have a fighting chance against this racecar. Need to represent the buick community on this one.

I know for sure I will need to change the converter , but what about the cam and turbo.

Thanks for the help guys.

I am not qualified to answer but have 3 questions:
-What does it run now?
-Will you be doing the work yourself?
-What's the budget?

I have a buddy that has a notch back mustang , it's a pure racecar , slow but still a racecar. His mustang weights 2700 #s with him in it. He has a 13.1 compression race gas 434 small block chevy , solid roller cam , dominator carb , etc. Car is setup for drag racing , 4.56 gears , 12 point cage , turbo 400 trans transbrake 6000 stall. All the race car stuff.............

You are bringing a knife to a gun fight, and will have to do much more than you have there as he has a BIG advantage of 1000#'s less mass to move down the track!

My race car at 3400#'s would be a good match for the Mustang, but many years of refining and LOTS more $$$$, maybe double what you have spent so far will be needed to spank him. :)

Jerryl I have not had any times on the big boost setup. But on 18 #s car made around 450 rwhp and ran 10.90s. So maybe now it's going low 10's ?

Don't really have a limit on the budget but don't want to get to crazy. At that point might as well just go ls turbo swap.

Work will done by me if possible, if not someone who is capable of doing what needs to be done.

Nick the weight advantage is what really hurting me. If it wasn't a light weight that motor is a dud. Nick do you have any suggestions on what I should change to make it run better ?

I think around 650hp in a heavy Buick will net a 9 sec pass with good traction.

If you have 35K you can buy Richie Balcom's 8 second car and blow his doors off.

........ Nick do you have any suggestions on what I should change to make it run better ?

There are 3 mayor items you need for more HP. First I love a TE-45A, but you need more air and at least a 70mm, I run a HPQ version with a .69 housing and high 9's with 19-22 psi.

Second would be a higher stall converter, probably 4000 stall, as mine is a 4500 stall and can easily get 1.35 60' times. Too tight a converter will spin the tires when launching. I know some of the newer race converters are now lock up, but $3-4k converter is not within my budget as my $800 NLU one does the job for me!!

Since RPM equals more HP, new valve springs are needed, or a solid roller and about 200 psi on the seat. You should be in the 6500-7000 range for the HP needed. I bet that SBC is shifting at 7000 or more?

7000 rpm to run high 9s?
Look at the thread in the time/combo section, 9.86@137 stock stortblock. This is my brothers cutlass that i built, tune, and race with an old te45- 63mm compressor and p trim turbine. The converter is a 3000 stall ptc, it flashes to 5000 rpm under full power, and the car has gone 1.34 60' on totally stock suspension, stock sway bar, control arms, only an air bag, on drag radials. Shifting at 5400rpms.

Forcefed i started to think about your Combo as well as bison small turbo basic combos that run great. And said I should be there too with what I have or close to it. But reality is how many people with what you have are running anywhere near those times. That why I think Nick said what he said. It always seems to take more than what you think it is to get the job done. But if I can run what you did with my combo better believe I'm gonna sit next to that mustang.

There is no magic. If the car didnt run this fast, a huge turbo or more rpm wouldnt make it faster. The biggest problem most people have is not enough valve spring. This combo ran 10.7s years ago, the only difference now is i changed springs and torque converter.

I have a buddy that has a notch back mustang , it's a pure racecar , slow but still a racecar. His mustang weights 2700 #s with him in it. He has a 13.1 compression race gas 434 small block chevy , solid roller cam , dominator carb , etc. Car is setup for drag racing , 4.56 gears , 12 point cage , turbo 400 trans transbrake 6000 stall. All the race car stuff. The funny part is he thinks my buick should run him head up. His car like I said is slow for what it is. He has gone 9.70s @ 137 mph he has been 1.38 60 ft also. Now my buick is a true street car pump gas and alky ,full interior , ac , heat , power steering , etc. All the comforts of a daily driver. I need you guys help to get me at least a 9.90 capable to run him. If he is only a tenth or 2 faster I'll try him anyway. My car has full suspension front and rear double adjustable upper and lower trz arms with double adjustable coil overs front and rear. Motor has made 560 rwhp on 23 #s and now I am running 26#s. I have 30 over forged pistons , rods with bolts , stock crank , billet mains , billet hydraulic roller 206 cam from either weber or eastern , fully ported gn1 heads , 72 # injectors , alky control kit , TE45A turbo , eastern front mount intercooler, fast xfi , 3 inch Terry Houston downpipe, stock headers reconditioned, 200 trans built and has a 3200 nlc 9 inch art carr old school converter , fab 9 rear with 3.50 gears , 28 x 10.5 slicks, not sure what I missed.

What would you guys change to get me in the 9s to have a fighting chance against this racecar. Need to represent the buick community on this one.

I know for sure I will need to change the converter , but what about the cam and turbo.

Thanks for the help guys.
  1. Are you still using the stock rear control arm mounting points? There is a good bit in 60' foot times to be gained when using an upper front bucket relocation kit. I used the ones from trick chassis, made a nice improvement on my car with DA QA1 shocks.
  2. You have a good bit of room left on that turbo still I would turn it up to 32 - 34# and put some c-16 in it. make sure your fuel pumps are up to the task.
  3. You will benefit greatly from a ptc 9.5 converter contact dusty on here, he will get you set up.
  4. As allready stated you may not have enough valve spring and the correct lifters to allow this much boost and allow the engine to turn 6200rpm without valve bounce issues.
  5. 72# injectors and alky may be close to done at this point, Not sure how much you can spray, But this should get you close to 9.90 at this point for not a lot of money.
  6. It will start to cost some money to get past this point.

I know you wan't to go faster to beat this dumb ass. However, you might want accept his challenge on your terms. Try presenting this as an option...........

-I would ask him to meet you at your house on the hottest day of the year.
-Then he has to take the car off the trailer. This would be his last chance to check the fluids/suspension/air pressure or look under the hood. For you as well.
-Then you both drive to the gas station and fill up.
-Then you both drive to the track.
-Then you both go through tech and strait into the staging lanes. (other than for the tech inspection, no one opens their hoods or looks at their undersides).
-If your competitors car hasn't overheated or blown up already on the ride to the track.......Proceed to hand him his ass.
-Now tell him to go F&CK HIMSELF!

You own a car. He just owns a device for acceleration....a tool....like a hammer or drill. Not a car. If you want to race a car then tell him to bring a car. Not a wheelbarrow with a motor in it.

A complete moron can build a 9 sec wheelbarrow. It takes a little more brains, effort and money to build a 9 sec car.

7000 rpm to run high 9s?......

The Mustang runs 9.70's, so a 9.60 is really where he needs to go.

I know your air and DA is a lot better than here in the desert, and I can understand that our cars could pick up 3-4 tenths as compared to our usual DA of 3800 or so on a good day?

Years ago I remember at a NHRA meet here we "killed" the class record with a turbo Buick and ended up as no. 1 qualifier when the DA was unusually great, well below 1000' which I have not ever seen again!

His mustang weights 2700 #s with him in it. He has a 13.1 compression race gas 434 small block chevy , solid roller cam , dominator carb , etc. Car is setup for drag racing , 4.56 gears , 12 point cage , turbo 400 trans transbrake 6000 stall. All the race car stuff.
what tire is he on?

Ny twin like I said he has a straight racecar. He has no alternator. Lol he's a clown that he thinks my streeter is a comparable car to his just because I have a turbo. No interior , no heat , 1 seat , fuel cell , no wipers , etc. He is on c16 dude has 13.1 compression 434 in a mustang. He couldnt drive 5 min with his open headers. He's only running 9.70s. Racecar but a slow one at that. I'm gonna try him on the Pkwy I am also from westchester as well. Faster car doesn't always win. I'm gonna try it win or loose.

He's on a 28 x 10.5 slick. Trying to get this off on the street just some vht on the street . But may be at the track.