Help me choosing tall 16" tires...

Adam, since I'm going to have a 3.5" rear spacing, I'm pretty sure that a 10" wheel will have the tire touching the fender lip on bumps...Also, when I had 15"X8" wheels, I found that they filled the wheel well very nicely, viewed from the side or the rear of the car...see the picture below.

Claude

Adam, since I'm going to have a 3.5" rear spacing, I'm pretty sure that a 10" wheel will have the tire touching the fender lip on bumps...

Claude

Well of course if you moved up to 10" wide you would adjust the backspacing accordingly or they'd be sticking out way too far. You could squeeze 4.75" backspace in there.

I was thinking of getting some widened stock rims like you're doing but I heard they end up being really heavy when the process is all said and done.

"Turbo6Chicago", thanks for replying...however, I don't understand how a 4.75" rear spacing would work because if I put more than 3.5", it'll touch the frame for sure...so how can a deeper rear spacing work even on a 10" wide rim??

Claude :confused:

Here's my experiences.

On a stock car that has a perfectly centered rear end, a 15x10 rim with 4.5" back spacing will fit without the tire hitting the frame, even with a 28x10.5" slick, no rub. You will however have to roll the fender lips and run dual air bags to keep the tire from hitting the wheel trim if you don't roll it. I ran Drag Lite IIs on my old Limited with a 28x12.5" MT ET Street (It's really a 28x10.5 slick with groves cut into it and a DOT number) without any rubbing and only had to slightly roll the fender lips with dual air bags.

DSC00527.jpg

Pictured with 15x10 with 28x12.5 MT ET Streets.

I also ran the same size Pro Stars with a 28x10.5 MT ET Slick on my old Stage II Grey car with rolled lips, no wheel trim, dual airbags and beefed up factory 8.5" rearend.

PatscarRUQWKNF.jpg

Picture with 15x10s and 28x10.5 slicks.

P2253678.jpg

Picture with 15x10s and BFG 295/50/15 regular radials.

On 15x8" rims, I recommend running 3.5" back spacing and have run 295/50/15 Hoosier Quick Time DOT tires and on 15x10 rims, 4.5" back spacing. People run into problems with tires rubbing on the frame when the upper control arm bushings get worn or start to oval out the bolt holes. This causes the rear end to push further to one side of the car, IE not centered. This can also cause a severe swaying condition as speed increases going down the track on slicks. Bad deal.
Hope some of this helps.

Patrick

Adam, were you running the 275/55/16 M&H DR's on Stock GTA "fronts"? I've sold my old 26" slicks for my 15x10 welds, and cannot decide whether to just get 28" slicks for the welds, or go ahead and get the M&H DR's for my spare set of GTA "fronts". Kind of leaning toward the M&H's since I only go to the track at most 3 times a year, and I'd have a matching set of wheels front/rear.

"Turbo6Chicago", thanks for replying...however, I don't understand how a 4.75" rear spacing would work because if I put more than 3.5", it'll touch the frame for sure...so how can a deeper rear spacing work even on a 10" wide rim??

Claude :confused:

Where did you get the information that the most rear spacing you can fit is 3.5"? As RUQWKNF mentioned, if the rearend of your car is fairly centered, fitting something like 4.5" will be no problem, some guys even push it to 4.75" and 5" and get lucky enough that it still doesn't rub.

Regardless I'm sure if you do 8" with 3.5" BS it'll still look good.

Reply to "Turbo6Chicago"...

Hi "Turbo6Chicago"...:) Thanks again for replying. I was not saying that 3.5" rear spacing is the most you can fit....just that judging by my personal experience, a 3.5" r.s. fits real nice, centering the overall wheel inside the wheel opening (viewed from the rear of the car), without any rubbing on the frame or fender lip and all this without having to use any spacers. It's true that some other GN owners are using more r.s. than that, but I guess it must rub a little sometimes on sharp turns or on some other occasions like bumps, etc...or maybe that they don't mind having to use some spacers, but as long as possible, I'd rather not having to. I think that the stock GN wheels have something close to 4" r.s. but they're only 7" wide, so going to a 8" wide wheel adds 1/2" on each side creating the need to move the wheel outward at least 1/2" giving the 3.5" r.s. I was talking about. As for 4.75" r.s., I simply don't see how it would fit regardless the width of the wheel used...unless the frame is notched...but all the measurements I was talking about earlier was with a stock unmodified frame...
'bye,
see 'ya! ;)

Claude :)

Got the M&H's today!

I finally got my M&H's 275-55-16's today...yippee! :biggrin: All that's left to do now is to mount them on the wheels I ordered from Brian (GBody Parts.com)...

Claude :cool:

Are you going to put them on widened rims? Or the stock "Fronts"? I'm seriously considering those tires, since track visits are rare. Did you order them through M&H? Please let us know what you think of them once they're mounted;)

"Roc87", I'm going to mount them on 8" wide GTA wheels that I'm having made by Brian (GBodyParts.com) with a special 3.5" rear spacing. He can custom-make them with any rear spacing you want using original GTA wheel "centers" which are removed from the stock wheels and then, they are re-welded to brand new "barrels", so it does not matter if he uses "fronts" or "rears" to begin with.....I'm still waiting for the wheels to get here though...
A friend of mine ordered them for me from "Jeg's" as "Summit" doesn't sell M&H anymore...

Claude :cool:

Cool. I'm not wanting to get the tires if I have to change BS of a Rim, but will probably have to. The stock "fronts" with a 245/50/16 BFG has less than a half inch between tire and frame on my GN. I'm using a 7/16" spacer, just so I can run the plastic lug nut covers without a hole in them, But I will not even try for a good 60' when there's a spacer, regardless of what brand stud/length. (PaceCarT/A sent me a video of what happens with a 1/4" spacer and BFG 255/50/16 Drag radials:eek: )

I've said it before, if used properly, there is no reason for a failure to occur with a wheel spacer any more so than any other part on the car. The fear people have of these things is amazing.

Don't know if this video will work or not, Paul (PaceCarT/A) sent it to me in .GIF format. I ran 1/4" spacers for a long time before I found 2 "fronts" for sale, but have never tried them with slicks or DR's.

I hope Paul doesn't mind me posting this, if so, I'll remove it.

launch was at 3750rpm (msd dis4 two step) aprox 7-8psi of stageright transbrake 200-4r
tires were 255/50 16 MT et street radials on gta fronts
studs were moser 3" 12mm 1.5s
lugs were GM gta lugs
spacers were 1/4"

Attachments

• Spacer.GIF
    Spacer.GIF
    41 KB · Views: 177
an sixty times yet for these tires

Pretty soon...
I just installed a pair and I am impressed. On the street I can launch at 8 PSI and they bite nice and hard (no burnout either). This car was doing pro stock style burnouts from a 35MPH roll on the previous BFG G-force TA's

Mine are just sitting in the garage waiting for the wheels to come back from the paint shop. I ought to just pick them up and rattle can 'em black. I agree with TbirdV6, they seem like they are VERY soft, more so than the M/T ET Drags I had. Anybody considering these tires, I found a distributor who'll have them drop shipped from M&H for $366 a pair shipped.

MJRWOOD, what kind of psi are you running in them?

I'm running 26 PSI for around town driving. M+H says 16-22 for the track, and "read the recommended pressure on the sidewall" for normal driving.

Some pics of M+H 275/55R16's on 16x8 torque thrust II's with 4" backspacing

I think 3.5" backspacing would be perfect for this rim/tire combo. The 4" is tucked in a bit deep but works fine.

P5080004.jpg

P5080005.jpg

Here is what my M&H's looked like:
DSCF0002.jpg

the only problem was that they were just too tall for my combo... the best 60 I could pull was 1.83 because of my relatively low power(roughly 300RWhp). I ran a best of 12.92 at 103 I think. The hook on ALL dry surfaces though... I was launching off 10lbs on ft brake on the street with no spin.