help me choose wheel/tire size!

Tom Tom Turbo

Turbo Goes Woo Woo
Guys, its finally time to get this beast ready for some track days/grudge racing. I'm predicting that this car is low 11's capable if not better, should I choose to turn the boost up. Currently she's on 17x8 SLP ZR1 wheels and dry-rotted BFG G-Force T/A's in 245/45/17 all around.

I'm not opposed to keeping the SLP wheels, but I'm pretty much limited to a 245 series tire on an 8" rim, correct? Especially if I'm going to air them down a bit at the track. I thought about trying to run a 275/40/17 Mickey ET Street radial, but Summit suggests no smaller than 9" rim.

I would entertain dropping down to a 15" rim, but I'm not sure as to what size/back spacing/etc. My rear suspension is nothing fancy, just some UMI LCA's, ATR rear bar, Bilstein shocks, Kirban's replacement rear springs, and airbags in each spring. What are some thoughts on what might work without frame notching, rubbing, etc? I know some of this can be found in the sticky thread, but its gotten so big that I really don't feel like reading through 50+ pages of stuff when I know you someone has a quick answer!

Tom, I think you'll find MANY guys including myself, run a 275 tire on 8" rims. I've done it for years and it's been perfectly fine for the track and the street, every tire manufacture will say something different. For an 8" rim BS will be 4-4.5 to get everything to fit up to about a 275-295. I have 3 different sets of rims and tires from 15", 16" and 18" all running 275's and all are 8" rims. The 18's and 16"'s have MT drag radials on them and the 15's have Cooper Cobra G/T's and looks like the car from Fast 5.

Thanks for the input, I think I'd like to try a 15x10 Race Star wheel with 275/60/15 ET Street and maybe just keep 245/45/17 on all four of the 17x8s for street use. It just bugs me not having all the wheels match at the track!