Help! Manual fan swith wiring question??

GMGUY2

Just recently purchased my White 87 Turbo-T back from a friend of mine, Turbocrazy, and I can't remember how the wiring for the manual fan switch was supposed to hook up. I think it was a Kenne Bell kit originally. Here's what I got, the green/yellow on the high speed has a tap on it, and then the two greens on the low speed are cut and then butt connected on each end. So I have three wires going to the center console for the switch. Green/yellow tap, and then the two from each end of the green wires. So my question is how do I hook that up to my two position switch?

Not really sure how to answer your question but here's a cheap and easy fan controller I made that will work on your car.

First off locate where the fan delay relay is under the hood. it has 2 plugs that plug into it. One of the pigtail plugs is shaped like the letter T and has 2 fat wires, one a red the other I think a purple. And there's also a smaller green/yellow striped wire going to it. This is the pigtail you want.

Go to the parts store and get one of those 30 amp relays like what you'd find used for aux lighting, etc. They're about $7. Run the fat red wire from the T pigtail to the input side of the relay contact and then run the darker fat wire to the other side (output) of the relay contact.

Now run a smaller red wire from the fat red to the relay solenoid hot side. Then run a long wire from the relay ground into the car to a toggle switch. On the other pole of the toggle switch run another wire and connect to a good ground inside the car.

The way it works is, the relay is energized thru the fat red wire via the smaller red wire, and when you provide a path of ground (the toggle switch) it closes the relay and thus turns on the fan anytime you want it on.

This is how I did my car and it works flawlessly.

HTH

When I go to ground with the green/yellow the high speed turns on which is what I want. I am just trying to figure out why the green wires on the low speed where cut completely and butt connected on each end. I think the green wires are on from the ecm and the other is a/c on. So I wonder if when you go green/yellow to ground you break the greens to disable the low speed from turning on. Or are the greens used to turn the low speed on, on a seperate switch. I am sure this was a Kenne Bell set-up, I was just hoping someone had the similar setup and could tell me how they hooked up their switch. The whole deal is it always worked fine, but the switch was unhooked at one time and now I don't know how to hook it back up!!!! I can't remember if I was running to seperate switches or one two or three position switch????

swith????:D

ahhhhhh crap, now I've opened this up to the political section....... :eek:

It's 2 separate circuits. The switch should be hooked to high speed relay only and the low speed should be left to run in the factory configuration. Don't know why the low speed circuit was messed with unless the fan circuit in the ecm was burnt out. Which can happen. In that case you could run a single pole double throw switch to toggle between . Maybe that was the plan but the ac pressure switch green wire should not have been cut. Also the fan circuit's in ECM's can be repaired.

RL

That would make sense, I am still getting power from the ecm wire????? Does removing the delay relay affect anything???

you are trying to use the switch to ground the relay.. grab a test light and see which small wire at the relay has power with the key on, and ground the other one thru the switch, which is all the ecm or temp switch does.

The ecm provides the ground to the low speed relay via the green wire. That's why the fan runs when you ground it.

Removing the delay relay is OK.

RL

How was the switches wired with the Kenny Bell kit? I had one years ago but dont remember. But it was two switches 1 for high speed fan and another so I can turn it on when ever I wanted and the delay relay would shut it off if I turned the key of and forgot the switch

Not sure how it was originally wired, but that would make sense. I think I will try that out. If that doesn't work I think I will put everything back to stock and then get the casper hi/low kit.

Turbo-T, thanks for the suggestion. However, my delay relay has been removed.

That's ok. Mines been removed also. :)

You don't need the factory fan delay relay. All you need is one of those typical 30 a relays you get at any auto parts store.