Help! I snapped lower front shock frame clip nut

Koshe

Nothing can ever be simple with my car :facepalm:

My stock front shocks went out so I decided to upgrade to Bilsteins all around. Part numbers below.

Front shock part # 24-009492
Rear shock part # 24-009294

Everything was smooth and easy, till I got to the passenger side front shock. When screwing in the lower bolts, one of the frame nuts snapped in half, leaving the top threaded half on the bolt. I didn't make it all the way in, so there is enough play to cause future issues.

So now I'm just stuck.

NAPA frame clip nut part # NOE 6501049
NAPA link: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NDP6501049

Anyways, I can't for the life of me get the nut off, it just freely spins with the bolt. I could cut the bolt off, but I'm scared that I might nick the shock and fudge its integrity.

I would prefer not to remove any parts surrounding the shock, since doing that means I need to get new bushing. Getting new bushing for just one side isn't really an option so, that means, erthang getting new bushings. And I juuuust don't have the energy for that right now.

Does anyone know of an easy way to remove the broken half of the nut?

To hold the nut in place I've tried screw drivers, pliers, and even putting another nut over it, but I've had no luck.

------
tl;dr
------
I broke one of the frame nuts that keeps the lower part of the front shock in place.
Trying to figure out how to remove it, without removing surrounding parts.
There is very limited space.

Thank you for any information, ideas, anyone is willing to give.

Jack up where front where suspension is hanging and turn wheel to one side to give you access to inside of spring and get needle nose vice grips on the nut and then try and remove it..... may try a cut off wheel as well to remove the head of the bolt.

If you can't get a vice grip on the nut, cut or grind off the head of the bolt. Cut a slot in a big washer and slide the washer between the head of the bolt and the shock. Use the washer as a shield/stop when you grind the bolt head.

Did you use the bolts/hardware supplied by Bilstein? If so I think that's the issue. I had to use my original factory bolts, as the new bolts supplied did not want to thread properly

Did you use the bolts/hardware supplied by Bilstein? If so I think that's the issue. I had to use my original factory bolts, as the new bolts supplied did not want to thread properly

Yeah I used the ones that came in the box with the new shocks. I tried turning the wheel and using vice grips, they kept slipping. So I went out and bought better vice grips, those slipped too. I'm at that point where I would just like to strap a brick to the gas pedal and let this baby fly off a cliff... too bad I live in Florida.

Other than removing parts and replacing bushing, it looks like cutting the bolt is my only real solution. Thankfully I have spare clip nuts and the old bolts.

The new question is, do I really need to us a clip nut? Why not just use a regular nut like the ones used to secure the upper part of the rear shocks?

Most high end aftermarket shocks get rid of the clips and use lock nuts.

billsteins use a different thread pitch and I did the same damn thing. Now I use the factory bolts.

billsteins use a different thread pitch and I did the same damn thing. Now I use the factory bolts.

After getting the thing off, I went back and checked the other bolts and all the thread had been stripped. I'm glad you and Guss mentioned the threading.

The funny thing is, I went out and bought a rotary tool kit from Harbor Freight just to cut the bolt head off cheap and easy. The metal cutting disks it came with all broke before I could finish the job, so I was stuck... again.

In a desperate final attempt to get this nightmare of a nut off before committing seppuku, I reached over and grabbed those new trusty vice grips (the ones that kept slipping before) and somehow got em to hold the nut in place! Finally was able to get the nut and now mutilated bolt off. :ROFLMAO:

Anyways, just wanted to thank everyone again for all the advice. Couldn't have done it without you all.

Good stuff! Hey we've all been there somewhere along the line.

Last edited:
Where are you in FL? Sorry i didnt see this before, im in Orlando