Help from Turbo Builders Needed!

mgmshar

I removed the exhaust housing from my TA-49 today (Garret 0.63 AR housing) to port the wastegate hole. While I was doing that, I noticed that there was a large crack in the housing. The crack is in the thin piece of metal that separates the exhaust gas from the turbine wheel for the first few inches of the exhaust scroll. The crack starts on the edge of the metal (where the exhaust gas can first enter the turbine blades). The crack goes for about 1 inch or a little more, and then makes it's way over to the thicker metal adjacent to the thin piece.

Is this type of crack "normal" for a Garret housing?

Thanks,

If it's the crack it sounds like,I would replace the housing.
I've seen the housing core shift and kiss the exhaust wheel.
A picture probably wouldn't hurt though.

sounds like your talking about where the scroll first opens up to the wheel..

if so both my garett housings have a crack there and when I questioned John Craig about it he said it was typical and wouldnt hurt it.

so far he was right ...havent had no problems

That's the one.Trash it and get another one.
That gap is opening up pretty good from what I see.
Don't take the chance unless you feel like replacing a turbine wheel as well as the housing at a later date.
Maybe now is the time to upgrade to a different A/R and pick up some performance.
You're call.

Very common. They all will have it after just a little bit of use. I got one from John Craig (a "seasoned" casting, machined for a 49 turbine) and noticed my new shiny housing had cracks. A quick phone call resulted in "that's typical, they all have it."