help!! firing order

boosted

pleaze help...i bought this 84 tr from a friend who got fed up with it..he done a tune up and now its missing...im guessing he's put the plug wires on backwards or got 2 of em backwards at least...ok...the car has the 86-87 coil and ign module on it...do i follow the numbers on it? or is there a certain way they go on...it misses like crazy...i know the firing order is on the fan shroud but its excatly backwards compared to the 86-7 coil...which do i follow????? thanks again wes

your in luck...i just tore my engine apart and made a little diagram...give me one minute to get it online

I just replaced my module an coil pack(which is an 86/87) this weekend and my advice is...............to look at the sticky at the top of the page an do a search like I did.:p j/k, its pretty self explanatory. The cylinders on the drivers side are 1-3-5 starting at the front, pass. side is 2-4-6. If the module is mounted correctly the plugs in front should be 4-2-6, the other side is 1-5-3. I think i remembered that right, if not just look at the sticky. HTH.

thanks guys...lol...ill give it a try tomorrow..lol..either cuz its 10:30 at nite or im too lazy...maybe noth..lol...anyways ill try it tomorrow and see what happens....keep u posted
wes

Guys!!

There's a "sticky" thread at the top of the page, called "Basic Hot-air Info"--

check it out, it's EXACTLY what it says! :)

ok..that didnt help....its gotten worse...now there smoke spewing out of the pass side tail pipe....looks white....but it smells like the car is extremely rich...thought it might be a head gasket but theres no oil in the water...havent had time to pull the plugs to see if they're the culprit will do that after work...

Check Turbo

Smoke is one of the signs that the turbo could be bad. Check for oil where the throttle body connects or in the body itself. And look at the plugs. If the car is rich it doesn't take long to foul them out ( been there done that ) and my car has never left the drive way ( it's long ).

ok finally found out the skinny.....the prev owner tried to do a tune up due to a dead miss...hence to where im at now...tryin new plugs now. had autolite 23's in it..put a new set in it (23) then it started smoking....pulled out all of em...one is soaking wet. goin to try autolite 24s now. now we'll see what happens..i know the coil pack and ign module is good..i put it on my 87 and it ran perfect..so now its either the wires or plugs....hopefully...lol....

ok ...i know u guys are gettin tired of me...but ive got the miss and the smoking gone!!!whoo hoo....lol....now it just doesnt want to idle...:( i can fire it up..and it'll fire up and then die..reapetedly or until i mash on the gas a little then it will run...ideas? tps bad? iac bad? no codes so far.....
thanks...wes