Help engine smoke!!

87TIGN

Death by boost
So I just rebuilt my motor got it all in the car hooked up and turned the key.. was so nervous I almost threw up haha :eek: . So it turned out great cause it started after about 2 cranks and had perfect oil press. and coolant temp. we got it to idle a little better and the fuel pressure is about at 39lbs or so. Here is my problem, its smoking... I had put a gasket between the turbo and the exhaust manifold to attempt to stop any leaks and well it got fried so I thought it was probably that smoking. I took the turbo off cleaned it up nice and put it back together. Still smoking. Its not purple oil smoke and its not that really bright white coolant smoke either. Its like a dark white grayish almost and smells like a chemical burn. Not like the usual burning fluids smell. When I did my piston rings I did a chrome moly type speed pro set. I broke one ring and imediatly replaced it with an identical one. I double checked all my other rings and they were all staggered right and all in tact. The pistons I installed are speed pro forged aluminum .040's and they were brand spankin new when I put them in. What could be causing this smoke? I had the heads ported and polished could it be the cutting oil they used burning off maybe. A residual? Had a complete valve job done and my machine shop guy, who is one of the best in colorado for TR's, installed brand new seats and stem seals. Could it maybe be a coating on the pistons that will eventually burn off? anyone else had this problem? Maybe some residual oil on the cylinder walls or rings from when I installed? Please help I am very frustrated.... Put alot of time and money in this car and dont wanna pull that motor again. Thanks in advance
-Andrew

without reading your whole post i would think it would be oil and grease from the build.

How long has the motor ran? Some of the chemicals can take a little while to burn off. Do you have any coatings on anything? Pistons, combustion chambers, exhaust these can take a while to get to burning clean.

So I just rebuilt my motor got it all in the car hooked up and turned the key.. was so nervous I almost threw up haha :eek: . So it turned out great cause it started after about 2 cranks and had perfect oil press. and coolant temp. we got it to idle a little better and the fuel pressure is about at 39lbs or so. Here is my problem, its smoking... I had put a gasket between the turbo and the exhaust manifold to attempt to stop any leaks and well it got fried so I thought it was probably that smoking. I took the turbo off cleaned it up nice and put it back together. Still smoking. Its not purple oil smoke and its not that really bright white coolant smoke either. Its like a dark white grayish almost and smells like a chemical burn. Not like the usual burning fluids smell. When I did my piston rings I did a chrome moly type speed pro set. I broke one ring and imediatly replaced it with an identical one. I double checked all my other rings and they were all staggered right and all in tact. The pistons I installed are speed pro forged aluminum .040's and they were brand spankin new when I put them in. What could be causing this smoke? I had the heads ported and polished could it be the cutting oil they used burning off maybe. A residual? Had a complete valve job done and my machine shop guy, who is one of the best in colorado for TR's, installed brand new seats and stem seals. Could it maybe be a coating on the pistons that will eventually burn off? anyone else had this problem? Maybe some residual oil on the cylinder walls or rings from when I installed? Please help I am very frustrated.... Put alot of time and money in this car and dont wanna pull that motor again. Thanks in advance
-Andrew

let me ask you a question did you have any work done to the drivers on the computer? and is the smoke coming out from the exhaust? and is there slight oil coming from the exhaust? or underneath the car? does it smell like cam lube? if so stop and do not run car again, let me know.

"How long has the motor ran? Some of the chemicals can take a little while to burn off. Do you have any coatings on anything? Pistons, combustion chambers, exhaust these can take a while to get to burning clean."

The motor has ran a total of probably an hour off and on while I do work on it and test drive. Yes I assume the heads got coated by the machine shop to prevent rust and oxidation but the pistons were brand spankin new so I am thinking they had a anti oxidation agent on them.

"let me ask you a question did you have any work done to the drivers on the computer? and is the smoke coming out from the exhaust? and is there slight oil coming from the exhaust? or underneath the car? does it smell like cam lube? if so stop and do not run car again, let me know."

The only thing I have done to the computer is a turbo tweak chip that I ran before the rebuild and no smoke. the smoke is coming from the exhaust and absolutly no leaks under the car. There is no oild coming out of the exhaust either. After running the car for a bit if i shut it off it still smokes a little for a short time which I assume is just residual leaving the exhaust gradually.

if the smoke is slowly going away the more it runs i wouldnt worry about it. i never really worry about smoke coming from the engine bay on a fresh build. doesnt take much for it to smoke but then it will clear right up. from what i have read i think your motor is fine. runn it a few more times let it get nice and hot for awhile and im sure it will be gone.