Help! Does anyone have a ....

GNSteve

EFI Unlimited #4
...*known good* ignition module/coilpack? Recently, I had a cutting-out problem that I traced to my module/coil. I ordered one from RedRegalT (aka John DiCarlo).
It arrived as promised, and I installed it on the car. Much to my surprise, the car runs WORSE! I took the car out to fill up gas. By the time I got back home, the idle turned to crap, and the car sputtered and popped under boost. It didn't do this before I put this other coil/module on.
So...can anyone out there help a brother out before I e-mail John? I just want to make sure that it's the coil/module causing the trouble before I tell him about it.
Thanks for any help!

Check and make sure your connections are good and also do a visual inspection of your connectors and pins. Check the simple things like grounds, and firing order too. Then if all is good put your old one back on to see if you still have that worsend condition you discribed when doing the ignition swap. If it goes back to the way it was before you changed the module and coil pack, then you probably have a bad set of new parts from the mainland. (that can happen). If it stays the same then you have to look elsewhere like the ecm or something. Good luck!

I have a good ignition module you can borrow but no coil pack. Let me know and I can bring it to work on Tuesday.

Gerold,

Thanks for the reply! I was going to double-check everything, but when I finally discovered the problem, it was already getting late on Sunday. This, along with OT all weekend, made me wrap everything up for the night. I'll check those things later on this week, I guess.:D

Jackson,

Thanks for the offer to let me borrow. I'd like to try it, if possible. When you have time, could you call me at home this evening, or page me during the day? (577-8715)
BTW, where did you get the module? If it works, I think I'll be buying a new one. Can you get them locally, or is it mainland time again?:rolleyes: Thanks again.

coil pack and module

I have an extra set of pack and module you can try too. Let me know;)

Hey Steve,

I have known good coil pack and module that I use to troubleshoot my problems! Let me know if you need to borrow it also.:D

It also sounds like a EST problem...I would try and look at gnttype.org under the codes 42....

Well, as of now, no.:D

I haven't really had time to troubleshoot lately. I did manage to get a good coilpack/module from Gay. (Thanks, bro!)
I thought about it, and decided that the grounding for the coil/module may have been inadequate. After talking to you, I ran a 10 gauge wire from the firewall to the underneath of the module. Hope that does something to improve the ground. As soon as I have time, I'll take the car out for a drive.
If it still don't work, I'll try Gay's coil/module. If that don't work, well...:rolleyes:

Yup, that was the problem...

Turned out that the coil/module was bad. After getting stranded on the side of the road, and paying a $65 tow fee for a ride home, I took out the "mainland" coil/module and swapped in the one I borrowed from Gay (GNowner).
Needless to say, it fired up on the first try, and has been running fine since then. (knock on wood:D )
I have a *new* coil/module on order from Kirban's. 'Til then, Gay says I can use his stuff. (Thanks bro!)
Anyhow, just thought I'd let you guys in on what I found.
Special mahalos go out to Gerold and Jackson, who kindly offered to let me borrow parts to troubleshoot. Thanks again.

Re: Yup, that was the problem...

Originally posted by GNSteve
Turned out that the coil/module was bad. After getting stranded on the side of the road, and paying a $65 tow fee for a ride home, I took out the "mainland" coil/module and swapped in the one I borrowed from Gay (GNowner).
Needless to say, it fired up on the first try, and has been running fine since then. (knock on wood:D )
I have a *new* coil/module on order from Kirban's. 'Til then, Gay says I can use his stuff. (Thanks bro!)
Anyhow, just thought I'd let you guys in on what I found.
Special mahalos go out to Gerold and Jackson, who kindly offered to let me borrow parts to troubleshoot. Thanks again.

I believe John gaurantee's that his are good so you should be able to send it back to him.

Clayton,

You are 100% correct. I contacted John via e-mail soon afterwards and explained what had happened. He told me to send it back and he'll refund my money. Simple as that. He was confused on how it died out like that, but he didn't argue about it. Straight up guy who stands by his word. Highly recommended.:D

Hey Steve......thanks for the kind words. Again, sorry for the inconvenience and expense. Shipping parts all the way over to you guys makes me check parts all the more. While normally I just use a Casper's coilpak tester (multiple times and different days) to check out a coilpak/ignition module combination, I actually installed this unit on my car and used it for a couple days and at least a couple hundred miles because I knew Steve's payment was on it's way. Well, as you know, the damn thing malfunctioned. When I got it back, the tester displayed no spark. However, the coilpak is good. Anyway, Steve's up and running and that's good. If you guys need anything for your cars, best thing is to see if any of your local guys can help out. Post office is getting rich! ;)

Jus' giving credit where it's due...

John,

No problem. I like to pass on my good experiences to others, especially my "local braddahs".
Good vendors are hard to find, so I always have good things to say about those I do business with.
Let's just say that if I need a TR part cheap and delivered on time, I won't hesitate to call John DiCarlo. 'Nuff said.:D

Originally posted by Turtle TR
Hey John...so, when ya' comin' to Hawaii :D?

AS SOON AS I SELL ENOUGH OF THESE DAMN STAY DOWN LICENSE PLATE DOORS. :(

Hey, did I ever tell you about the time I was walking down Hotel St. and low and behold.............:p

Is that a him or a her?

A he or a she........Hmmmmm.......a shim perhaps....:D :D

Hey, is that Chris's T parked around the corner of Hotel?

Nah Chris.......Everybody knows you run the Keeamoku strip.;)