Help! Converter not L/U

Googs

I've "GOT BOOST"!
The converter in my dad's car will not look up. The trans was rebuilt about 3yrs ago, the converter was replaced at that time, and haven't any problems until now. Direct Scan shows that the converter should be locking up, but nothing. Checked the fluid and tps, and both are good. So what could we be missing?

Direct Scan shows that the converter should be locking up, but nothing. Checked the fluid and tps, and both are good. So what could we be missing?

L/U solenoid took a dump? Very common with these cars and easy fix, except for the tranny fluid shampoo :tongue:.... If DS shows the lockup is commanded, that must be the problem... make sure the brake switches are not tripped, but if that were the case DS would not show the lock command...

here's a nice simple procedure for replacement:
TCC Solenoid Replacement

hth...:)

Finally was able to replace the TCC solenoid this week, to no avail, the converter still isn't locking up. So any other ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

Check extreme automatics website for trouble shooting lu solenoid. The trick with a check ball does work and verifies lu or at least verifies if its the solenoid. Do you have a switch to force lu or is it done with your ecu?

See if you have a vehicle speed sensor (VSS) signal to the ECM. Look at the MPH on Directscan...it should read the same as your speedo. If it reads zero on DS, then something is going on with the VSS system...I would start troubleshooting there. The only way the ECM knows how fast you're going to command lockup is through the VSS (as well as TPS and coolant temp, I believe).

1)brake switch- if jumping out pin A and F on the aldl block doesn't work open wire or brake switch If it does energize the solenoid then next
2)3rd or 4th gear driver or checking the pressure switches for 3rd/4th are making in the ecm-(you could skin a wire with the back wheels up on stands and make sure its getting 12v per ea.after about 60mph, if not psi switch problem/ if so all electrical is good.
3) pump, or next could be the
4)tcc solenoid
5)torque converter itself,, swap out with one that you know that works.been there done that,,

3 times.:smile:

The converter in my dad's car will not look up. The trans was rebuilt about 3yrs ago, the converter was replaced at that time, and haven't any problems until now. Direct Scan shows that the converter should be locking up, but nothing. Checked the fluid and tps, and both are good. So what could we be missing?

what converter are you using ?

See if you have a vehicle speed sensor (VSS) signal to the ECM. Look at the MPH on Directscan...it should read the same as your speedo. If it reads zero on DS, then something is going on with the VSS system...I would start troubleshooting there. The only way the ECM knows how fast you're going to command lockup is through the VSS (as well as TPS and coolant temp, I believe).

I reread the original post and it looks like DS is seeing a MPH, since you stated that DS is showing the converter should be locking up. If that's the case then disregard my previous post.:eek:

The only way the ECM knows ........to command lockup is through the VSS (as well as TPS and coolant temp, I believe).

and gear switches and LV8 (I think)... is DS showing the proper gear? 3rd and 4th gear switches are shown on DS (as well as P/N)... but I still think the lock command won't show on DS unless all the conditions are met... meaning the switches must be working...

I'd start with a voltmeter check of the wiring into the tranny on both pins.

Should read +12 on a meter on the proper 2 pins when lockup is commanded.

I'd tie two small gauge wires to the existing wiring down there and run them through the drivers window to a digital meter and watch it when you see lockup commanded.

If you don't get the +12 then I'd check each wire the +12 purple wire or the ground ECM wire respectively with the meter to see what signal you are missing down there.

If you have the signals it's in the tranny.

Basically you have to check the electrical somehow like Clark said.

I'd start with a voltmeter check of the wiring into the tranny on both pins.

Should read +12 on a meter on the proper 2 pins when lockup is commanded.

I'd tie two small gauge wires to the existing wiring down there and run them through the drivers window to a digital meter and watch it when you see lockup commanded.

If you don't get the +12 then I'd check each wire the +12 purple wire or the ground ECM wire respectively with the meter to see what signal you are missing down there.

If you have the signals it's in the tranny.

Basically you have to check the electrical somehow like Clark said.

Yep... that's great advice.... learning a bit as we go, here...:cool: