Help building a 4.1

DAVID C

I'm considering building a 4.1 to replace my 3.8 I read the info on the GN.org site. I'd like some more recent info from others that have gone that route. I picked up a 60k '83 4.1 for next to nothing. I'm going to have the block checked for cracks, if good, I'll probably bore to 4". Who do I go to for forged pistons? Direct to J&E, or through a distributor. It sounds complicated to get the proper dimensions. Why can't I just give them one of the old cast 4.1 slugs, and say " give me 6 just like them, only forged and for a 4 inch bore"? I think I'm looking for the same compression ratio. Also... Will my 3.8 intake, cam & crank sensors work with the 4.1 timing cover and heads? I know about the turbo oil return line. Any other unexpected modifications or cost? I'm trying to keep the $$ low. Any info for saving money on this project would be appreciated. I'm looking to push it to high to mid 10 sec range. Dave C.

I'm going through 4.1 piston hell right now. It was a piece of cake since all the 3.8L stuff bolts up- until I ordered pistons. I've been jerked around and lied to for 6 months now. I wouldn't even bother trying to go through anyone but JE for pistons. My machine shop said they could get me a deal on 3 different brands of forged pistons and it always took over a month to tell me they couldn't do it after all. If you want a set like mine I'm sure there's a # that comes with them. They're 8.5 comp, 1/16, 1/16, 3/16 (for total seal rings) and use the stock wrist pin but they're full floating.

Cool 84, I'd be real interested in those part numbers. What size bore and how much are they costing you? Please keep me posted after the install. Thanks. Dave C.