Hello From Central WI

DoWork

Hey Guys,

I've been cruising around here as a guest for some time now. I decided to finally register as I am about to start getting my car ready for the spring/summer.

I picked up my '87 GN in mid Oct. Its got a decent amount of mods, low miles, spotless interior, but needs paint. It's got a few hiccups under WOT after it warms up that I hope to get taken care of, and then its off to be painted. I will be sure to post up plenty of pics along the way. I can't wait to get it done though, under low boost on a bad tune, this thing still is pretty quick.

All in all, my life revolves around cars. I love them. I have been turning wrenches since I was about 10, and was plastering cut outs of cars from magazines on my wall well before that. Aside from the GN, I also have a mildly modded TrailBlazer SS that I am trying to get done before spring(got a few plans for it :D).

I hope to learn many things from this site. It looks like you guys have quite the community here. :cool:

Welcome to TurboBuick.com, the biggest & the best of all of the turbo Buick forums / sites anywhere. & welcome to the Darkside, too.

hello from southern wis. if you really want to have some fun when the roads clear and its -10 take your car out and hammmer it. tlak about some extra hp
enjoy the car just keep in mind its a buick$$$$$ the more you play the more you pay. chas52

LOL, I know! Good DA FTW! Like I said, my car has a few minor issues. The tank needs to be cleaned and I need a new fuel filter. I guess they didn't clean it when they welded the sump in, so theres a bunch of crap floating around in there that keeps clogging the filter. It also needs to be re-tuned....its running PIG rich right now. Also, I'm on horrible street tires, I can't hook to save my life. SO, I really can't have much fun with it right now.

Where in s. WI are you? I have family in the Millwaukee/Germantown/Racine area. I will be spending a lot of time at The Grove this summer with both the truck and the car.

dont know if you got the email? live 10 miles from the grove but dont race as the car is too fast. just go out for street kills,hahaha
golf course and grocery store runs. also have a tta with low miles and hardly driven. where are you in wis?
chas52

I didn't receive any emails........?

This year will be my first time at the track in about 2 yrs. I generally just putz around on the street too :D. We currently live in the Wausau area.

Hey, thanks man! Maybe sometime we could get a small meet together for the WI members. What do you guys think?

Welcome aboard.

There is a Midwest meet every summer. This last summer it was in Madison,WI

I personally didn't make that one, but I made the Midwest TurboBuick meet at the Byron Dragway in July.

Whoa, learn something new everyday! I will have to look into that. I would love to come!

you said the car has some issues. ive had mine for 19 yrs and have seen just about everything so speak and maybe i can help or another member can
arent threr any strips up by wausau?
is your car all stock or what mods have you made? promise i wont tell anybody
hahaha. just remember that lean is mean bust also goes boom. keep boost to 19 lbs on the street with some good gas and good fuel pressure. if youn want my op on mods to mke ask and i will give my op.
good luck talk soon.

you said the car has some issues. ive had mine for 19 yrs and have seen just about everything so speak and maybe i can help or another member can
arent threr any strips up by wausau?
is your car all stock or what mods have you made? promise i wont tell anybody
hahaha. just remember that lean is mean bust also goes boom. keep boost to 19 lbs on the street with some good gas and good fuel pressure. if youn want my op on mods to mke ask and i will give my op.
good luck talk soon.

Well, I will try to describe my issues then(this could get lengthy), although I think we may have them covered. I may be wrong though, so, please, lead me in the right direction. This is by no means my first turbo car, but, I mist say, it is a WAY different animal than any I have owned before.

OK, so, first, a little background on the car. I bought it in Oct of 09. My dad found it while on the road for work. I called the guy, and he told me what he knew about the car, which seemed like enough at the time. Well, it turned out he knew nothing, The car was his dads, and I later found out that a good friend of mine had put the car together. Before this raises any flags, I must say that he is a REPUTABLE engine builder/tuner in my area.

Well, in speaking to my friend, I learned that the previous owner was not the best customer ever, and he liked to shortcut things(this comes into play later). I do not currently know all that is done to my car, or the correct TB wording for it, but I will describe it as I know it, until my friend can finish collecting the receipts from the build.

I know that it is a reinforced( He said something about epoxy) 4.1l motor, the rotating assembly is all forged(except for pistons, back to that in a moment), aluminum heads, ported intake, Accufab TB, headers, stock cam(BUT it looks to have a set of ratio rockers on it, they are gold and blue rollers that can be seen through the oil fill), aftermarket Turbonetics Turbo w/external WG(not 100% sure of the size, I'll post a pic), built trans with 3400+ stall, and a built rear end. OH, and its on a older FAST EMS.

On to the issues. He(original owner) had told me before I bought it that it had an intermident issue with breaking up under boost and claimed it was the O2 sensor. Well, I found that the 02 was grounding on the water pump housing because the turbo had a 1/2" spacer between it and the hanger. I ground it down to 1/4", and VIOLA', not more clearance issue. Well, that didn't fix anything.

So, here I am. The car runs like a bat outta hell when it wants to(it's spun tires at 55+), but after a steady cruise for a lengthened period of time, or in town driving, it begins to break up under boost.

So, I began asking questions because at this point I was IRATE. I wanted a GN for like 14yrs, finally got one, and its a POS. Well, it turns out that when the car was in the shop, the owner's money dried up, and the car went somewhat "unfinshed." The tank had a sump welded in, and I guess it was just put back on without being cleaned. It turns out that there is a bunch of crap in there that clogs the filter from time to time.

Second, I found out that the car was originally tuned for 15+lbs. Well, the owner turned up the boost more on his own, and it ended up breaking a piston. In an effort to get it running again, the pistons were replaced with a set of cheap Jegs(forgot the name brand) slugs. The crank, rods, and block were all still ok. He dropped boost back to 10lbs, and it has stayed that way. Now, the car runs pig rich, and I can wipe soot off of my rear quarters after a night of playing around. Not cool.

So, I am stuck wondering. Could it be just the fact that my tune is off and that I lose fuel from time to time that is causing my "break up" issue, or do you guys think I have a much deeper problem? I mean, I know the fuel cutting will cause it to fall on its face, but I have never once heard it knock. When it breaks up it sounds like it's hitting fuel cut, nothing else. Oh, and plugs read fine, no signs of detonation. Honestly, what do you guys think? Could it really be this easy of a fix?

I am REALLY hoping to get the car done for summer. It needs paint, a real GN grille, and a set of Headlight buckets, and I want to get to the bottom of these issues. Oh, and I need a set of wheels and REAL tires. I know I have a long way to go, but I should be able to get there, especially if you guys have any insight into this. Also, if I do get it fixed, do you guys have any idea what sort of times I may see if I can get traction?

OH, heres the pic of the engine bay. Please excuse the wiring mess, I plan on cleaning that up too.
IMG00065.jpg

As for strips in our area, there really are none. I play on the street from time to time. But for track time, we either head to Rock Falls or GLD. I have yet to have the GN to the track, but we made a few trips with my truck to GLD last summer.

I also wanted to say that I have really enjoyed my stay here thus far. I spend a lot of time reading on here at night, and I learn more and more every day. I am also glad to see that there isn't as much drama on here as the other forum I am on. It's nice :).

first thing is to get a scanmeter or something to measure o2 volts etc
thers links on the page for optimum volts
you said its a 4.1 aluminum heads, etc but with a stock cam? strange combo!
looking at the pict where is the maf? lots of strange thi9ngs connected to your intake tube to tb. what inj size you got? also is that a inj system for nos?
big turbo somebody should be able to id it. thers lots of help on this site ask ?
and youll get a answ
need more info on parts combo

first thing is to get a scanmeter or something to measure o2 volts etc
thers links on the page for optimum volts
you said its a 4.1 aluminum heads, etc but with a stock cam? strange combo!
looking at the pict where is the maf? lots of strange thi9ngs connected to your intake tube to tb. what inj size you got? also is that a inj system for nos?
big turbo somebody should be able to id it. thers lots of help on this site ask ?
and youll get a answ
need more info on parts combo

I am working on getting the all the info on the combo. I meant to say last night that I think i it has heads.I tried to edit it after I posted, but, I guess there is no edit feature here lol. I am going to check it today when I go out to where the car is located. It may even be cammed. I had asked the previous owner for cam specs, and he was like "oh, its a stock cam," hence why I said that. I just have to wait on these receipts.

I am not sure of the injector size. Also, you asked about the MAF. I thought this was odd too, but I chalked it up to it having the FAST computer. I have no MAF. I figured MAYBE that was normal for a car with the FAST system.

You asked about N20, are you maybe seeing my fuel line coming from behind the blower motor housing?

EDIT: Why am I able to edit now, but not last night?

not familar with the fast system
the two lines arer by the wastegate is that a sneeze valve on the intake pipe?
go to any mech with a old snapon scanner and take it out and check reading on o2v and gety a fuel pressure gauge to see if its right. is the car throwing any codes at you? also if the car runs fine until it gets into boost check the hoses on the intercooler hoses as i had one loose and it run like shi*** until i fixed it.

Yeah, Its a POS TurboXS valve that need to be taken care of. I have had a TON of issues with them in the past on other cars. The slide sticks and they cease to work. I had planned on re-doing all the charge pipes this winter, so that will be taken out of the equation. I really do not think its a boost leak issue, but I will give it a shot. My buddy has a really nice boost leak tester he made, I'm gonna see if I can borrow it. To me though, a boost leak would be a constant problem, not an intermident one. Am I wrong?

I am not seeing any CELs, BUT, that is not to say that there isn't a stored code anywhere. I will have to check that today. I also tried to plug my laptop into it, but, the laptop is so old it's saying that it doesn't have enough memory to run it. I need to find someone with a CD burner and a 3.5" Floppy drive so that I can have the program and tunes transfered to a CD so that I may use a newer computer.

how did the eng get to 4.1 is it an old engine or punched out?
was it an old drag car? if it is then you rerally have to id all the parts to find out the combo or youll be chasing your tail forever. turbo size inj size cam etc
post some pics and guys on the board will figure out what it is
i kept mine pretty simple 49 turbo 50lbs front mount ic ported heads and intake 206 206 cam studs caps the usual stuff pistons rods etc runs good as i think the weak link is the trans thats one reason i dont race it as it might take a hike and cost $$$$$$$ as the engine spun a bearing and it cost 6000
to fix ther was a guy in milw doing tunes on them so post for a mech in wis and you might get his # also read on board that great lakes is being possibly closed?

I did some digging today, and found out as much as I could without getting receipts, which I plan on working on tomorrow.

I know for a fact that the engine is an older motor, and yes, the car was a former race car. I found that out from the builder.

I pulled a valve cover to find out a little more about the heads. They are cast iron, I was wrong. I had thought he had told me it had aluminum heads, but I stuck a magnet on them and it sticks. I could not tell by sight as they are painted black. Also, they are only 8 bolt heads. I also snapped a few pics. Maybe someone will recognize them and shoot out some brand names and what they are. OH, I also searched my injectors for some sort of PN, and all I could find was this: RIN4 0209. Any ideas anyone?

T&D rocker arms:
100_0363.jpg

Turbo pics, still not sure of size:
100_0365.jpg

100_0364.jpg

Also, as I was pulling the valve cover today, I discovered something.....a vaccuum leak. Actually, it was an open vac nipple, so I threw a plug on it and decided to take the car around the block. I was AMAZED at how it ran. It was 40* here today, which is about as warm as it was when I put it away, and it ran like it had never ran before. Bosst was almost instant, and it pulled HARD(when it found traction lol). Now, I really doubt that this was my issue, but, I think it may have helped a bit.

Oh, and heres a few pics of the car from today.
100_0368.jpg

100_0369.jpg

100_0370.jpg

car looks pretty good for a wis car . how many miles?
you have more snow than we do down here as the weather melted most of it
that looks like a big turbo, what kind of i/c do you run?
how long have you owned it?
main thing is to get a scanmaster and get some info on whats going on under the hood then a boost guage and a hood mounted fuel pressure guage as i had a pump go out and the only way to tell was watching the press drop under boost on the highway. how fast do you want to go?
chas52