hello everybody just joined

87cracker

Hi there I purchased a 87 T-Type with a horrible bottom end knock but it still ran smooth I had a 1986 3.8 carb. engine laying around I purchased the correct drill and tap for the oil feed and return line to make it work for 86-87 models . It is a stock engine I have a modified 87 GN and this is just for a daily driver keeping it at 5-7 psi of max boost. I am having a bad divability problem with it . It runs horrible, backfires threw exhaust, and wont idle longer than 5-8 sec. I thought it was the cam sensor out of time I checked it 3 times and I even purposely put it out 180 deg to see if it was that now its back fires threw intake and won't even start .

I put it all back to spec way I used my 87 as a ginnie pig and swapped: module, coil pack, cam sensor, crank sensor, injectors, ecm. 5 different chips, mass air flow . It doesn't even set a ck engine light. I did some research and the cams are different from non-turbo and turbo profiles, 40 psi fuel pressure. Is this enough to cause all these problems . I figured I wouldn't have the hp of a stock GN but I'm only wanted to use it as a a-b car nothing special any body ever done this conversion before or even heard of this problem ?

Sounds like it jumped time. Sadly gotta pull the front cover to check it.

sorry folks I forgot to mention I installed a new timing chain and a new timing cover with new lower oil pump housing and gears