Hello and Help!

Zurn

Gabe
Let me start by saying I really enjoy reading some of the threads on this web page. There is tons of great information here and I appreciate all the information that every one has provided. With that said, here is a small introduction for myself:
I have an 87’ Turbo-T that is maroon with a sunroof that I got form my Father-in-law in a trade because he was going to try and trade it in to a dealer. The car was bought for my brother-in-law back in 1993 used with 87,000 miles on it. My brother-in-law was only 16 at the time and this was his first car so you can imagine the abuse it was put through. He only drove the car for 3 years and then it was parked because they thought it had a bad turbo. I started playing with the car and used my Auto X-ray to find that the mass air flow sensor was bad. After replacing it, the car ran fine. The car has been mine for the past few years and I am just now getting to do some major work on it. I can’t do too much though; I’m expecting my first son on January 19th. Have to save a little money for my wife to take some time off of work.
The car now has 113,000 miles on it and was in need of some major work. I have taken several reading with my auto x-ray and have found nothing was wrong according to the sensors in the car. The car seemed to have a big miss when under load without any boost and was getting really bad gas mileage. Under boost conditions and at higher than 3,000 rpms, the car ran fine. I assumed that the timing chain was bad and decided to go ahead and change it. The chain didn’t seem that worn when I got in there, but once I put the new one on, there was a huge difference. After getting everything changed out and bolted back up, the car starts and runs fine but there is a high pitched squealing/screeching noise. I thought it might be the crank sensor, I had installed a new one and thought it might be out of alignment so I changed it back out to the old one and I am getting the same noise. I thought the ring on the back of the balancer seemed to be a little warped when I looked at it, but I didn’t do anything to it a far as I know. I also installed a new water pump although the old one seemed fine. I also installed a new oil pump as well. My next move will be to remove the belt to see if maybe one of my bearings in one of the pulleys is bad or if the noise is coming form under the timing cover its self. Any help and suggestions would be great. I consider myself to be an average mechanic and I also sold auto parts for 7 years so I feel that I’ve got a good understanding of cars in general, but this noise has got me really confused. Sorry for such a long post, and thanks for taking the time to read it.

Check the plugs and oxygen sensor. Last time I ran leaded gas in my car it fouled the plugs and got a miss under load. The 02 sensor was also fouled, but not to the point where it was throwing a code to the ECM.
It may be ignition, but plugs (AC delco # CR43TS) and oxygen sensor shouldn't run you more than $35, so its a cheap way to start.

I've changed the both the plugs and O2 sensor recently. After changing the timing chain, the car seems to be running fine. I'm just worried about the squealing/screeching noise that I am getting. I don't want to try tuning it anymore untill I find out what is causing this noise. It's almost like a metal to metal noise, I just can't pin point it. I was hoping somebody else may have hear of this before? Thanks.

Thanks, I'll have to try that. I won't get back to it for a few days, Seahawks are on Monday Night Football and I've got class on Tuesday, maybe I'll get it Wednesday. Anybody else heard of this problem?