heater box and blower motor smoking

chin_dude

I started my car up today and smelled a terrible burning plastic smell from the heater box. I have no idea what could cause this. Car hasn't started for a month and i jump started it? Ended up unplugging the connections to the blower in the engine bay from the outside.

thanks in advance

Derek

Can you take a closer look, or smell, from under the dash? I would get in there if possible with an inspection mirror, and see if a wire burnt or if the squirrel cage went bad. Kind of an odd coincidence it happened when you jumped it though.

Once you unplugged the blower, if you start the car does the smell come back? Was the heater motor loud at all?

I'd run the car, briefly plug the motor back in while someone looks, listens and smells for problems. But that is just me. Don't come find me if you try it and something bad happens... :eek:

Hope this helps, and let me know what you find, please!

Squid

Is the blower motor actually turning?

If not, it may be bound up by worn out bushings. The best way to tell is to pull the motor out and see if it spins freely. If it does, turn the ignition and heater on, then plug the power wire onto the motor while hanging on to it with a firm grip. If you see smoke, get a new blower motor.

Since you have an 86, Do you have the automatic climate control or the manual control unit?

I have had piece of plastic from a bag get burned up on the blower motor resistor coil before, dident smell to good. pull the blower motor and check it out, make sure your heater core isnt leaking also.
Good luck,
Mike