Heated seat fix

CHARGED

Anyone had to fix their heated seats:confused:
My drivers side appears to be dead, lights up on the switch but no heat.

Tested the switch by changing the switch with the passenger side but no luck, wiring looked good running to the seat.

Looking at the heating element it seems to be molded into the foam?

Anyone know how much a GM replacement is?
I may just end up buying a 12v plug in heated seat cover
Winter is comming and I need something soon:eek: Can't live without my heated seats...

Anyone had to fix their heated seats:confused:
My drivers side appears to be dead, lights up on the switch but no heat.

Tested the switch by changing the switch with the passenger side but no luck, wiring looked good running to the seat.

Looking at the heating element it seems to be molded into the foam?

Anyone know how much a GM replacement is?
I may just end up buying a 12v plug in heated seat cover
Winter is comming and I need something soon:eek: Can't live without my heated seats...

The problem could be a couple of different things. Here are the most likely culprits.

1) There is a dedicated 15amp fuse for the driver's heated seat element. Check it out. The lighted switch draws it's power from the interior lights so that is on a different circuit.

2) The driver's heated seat control module could be inoperative. It's more than likely getting a signal from the switch since you swapped over the one from the passenger side and it made no difference.

3) The driver's heated seat pad could be broken, either the heating element itself or the thermistor that is also a part of the cushion heating pad.

4) The driver's heated back pad is broken.

Do you have a DVOM meter? Something to measure continuity/resistance? With the wiring diagram I've included you should be able to figure it out.

Of all those things, more than likely it is the heated seat or back pad. Using the diagram and a meter you could figure out for sure what it is, but if you want to try replacing something start with the seat cushion heating element. They are not that bad to replace. Remove the driver's seat, figure out how to remove the upholstery (usually held to the foam and seat structure with velcro and "hog rings") and you will be able to seat the heating element, which is normally lightly glued in place to the foam.

Look at Rockauto.com, maybe some online GM parts retailers, ebay, etc. to find the best price on the heating pads.

Good luck!

Attachments

• 98BuickGSheatedseat.jpg
    98BuickGSheatedseat.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 341
Haha, actually if you want me to email you the picture just send me a PM with your email address; I didn't realize it would look that small posted!