Heat wrap on down pipe

rmorrell

I just got rjc's 3" dp, does anyone wrap these with heat wrap? I wouldn't think it would affect the a/c plastic but it came to mind.

In theory its a good idea i.e. cooler underhood temps, etc. But over time, the wrap
gets soaked with oil from the valve cover breathers, oil leaks, and becomes a fire hazard.
Been there with my THDP years ago....

I wrapped mine, I don't have any oil spillage, but I can see how that would be a bad thing. Been wrapped this way for 6 years, only a few miles a year and a few WOT @ the drag strip.

I have mine wrapped and "sealed" with the silicone spray that they tell you to use, both underneath the wrap and a few coats on the outside that were allowed to soak in. after install they have some curing instructions that really get it set up nicely.

it helped with underhood temps a bit. it looks cool in my opinion if done properly too. probably not worth it to go through the trouble. 98 percent of people here wouldn't put any wrap on it haha.

plus it is way easier to wrap a TR downpipe than a set of 1000cc triple, 2 stroke snowmobile pipes.

-D

Wrap is also known to trap moisture which during the heat cycling can lead to corrosion/rust on the DP......

I prefer to reduce underhood temps by driving as fast as I can and letting the wind blow through there....;)

understood. I heavily coat mine with the silicone spray. if it rusts through I get to buy a new one, which will be nice :cool:

I had mine wrapped on my C5 for a while and it did start to deteriorate the dp a bit. Next time around I'll just go with a ceramic coating.

Peter

Thanks for the info guys. I have it installed now so I probably won't wrap it. I want to watch it turn color from the heat too..

I'm going to coat mine with Swain Tech White Lighting while it's apart this winter, not cheap but suppose to be a top shelf coating for heat protection . Sam