Heads/Cam LS1 Camaro SS

Wolfj359

A 6 8 U
I was at Rankin road in Houston Saturday night looking for a money race or two. A guy approached me in a pewter Camaro SS with Cam/Heads, headers, 6 spd, and possibly other mods. He wanterace for $100 but all I had on me was $40 so we agreed to race if I gave him the move. By the time it was all said and done I had him by about 5 car lengths, he was not pulling on the big end and I had $40 extra bucks in my wallet:D. Oh, I also got another $20 racing a 71 Z28 with a very healthy small block and Hoosier Quick Time Pro's. I only beat him by about 1 1/2 cars(fast car), but it didnt matter cause I had another $20 bucks:cool:

I was in pure street trim for my car, how I drive it on the street every day, 23 psi, 26* timing, SMC alky, and BFG drag radials. Gotta love the power of the Dark side!!

Good Kill!

Good Kill!

A heads/cam/header LS1 is good for possible mid 11s at 115+ if driven and set up properly. Not to question your kill, but had it been an auto with a good stall and DRs it probably would have kept up much better with you. Heads/cam autos can run 10s with a light race weight, the 6-speeds aren’t really suited for drag racing as much as autos. But don’t run that 6-speed from an 80mph punch! They’re sick in heads/cam form. Even in stock to bolt-on levels they’re sick on the expressway. I have a friend with a ’00 Z28 6-speed that’s only running 13.40s, and I kill him from a stop, but if we go from ~70mph by 115 he’s a good 2+ cars ahead of me.

LS1

WS6,
so what you're telling us is that an LS1 with heads/cam/headers/slicks can run 10's? is that with OR without hardened axles and stock supsension? i know of a certain LS1 at LS1 motorsports that was running 11's with single turbo and now runs 10's but they went thru a BUNCH of axles before going low 11's and then 10's. just busting some balls...

Re: LS1

Originally posted by NOSjohnWE4
WS6,
so what you're telling us is that an LS1 with heads/cam/headers/slicks can run 10's? is that with OR without hardened axles and stock supsension? i know of a certain LS1 at LS1 motorsports that was running 11's with single turbo and now runs 10's but they went thru a BUNCH of axles before going low 11's and then 10's. just busting some balls...

The turbo LS1 you’re talking about is Rob Raymer. Cool car…

Raughammer (John Campbell) is running 10.80s on his stock 7.5” 10-bolt rear in an auto. It’s heads/cam/headers/slicks + many bolt-ons LS1 Z28. His race weight is like 3300lbs though.

I agree though, a 12-bolt is basically required for 10 sec passes in an LS1. Contrary to popular belief however, the stock 10 bolt has been known to be reliable for some into the 11s in auto form. The key is to rid your self of ANY wheel hop. Also, some people/axles just tend to be luckier than others. Many of us are cutting regular 1.6X short times on stock rears without issue…

RPMWS6
I was pulling on the car the whole way down the full 1/4 mile that we raced. With the weather and the boost I was running and with this new V4 intercooler I have I would say that I was running 120 mph trap speeds that night, I ran 116 mph with the stock IC with 1# less boost in 30 degree warmer weather. So that said, sure, I'd race him from a highway punch, I'd just shut off around 130-140 before the car decides to grow wings:cool: .

On the expressway...

Wolfj359…I don’t know, there is more to it than just trap speed. The friend I mentioned before that beats me by 2 cars from 70 to 115 has a best trap speed of mid 104s, and my best traps are in the mid 106s, yet he still beats me. It’s the close ratio gearing in the T56 trans. The shift extension is even higher for him then my 3500 stall converter gives me, plus he has less drivetrain loss. Gearing/close ratio transmission advantages become much more apparent running from a roll. Not to say that you might not still beat him, but if he can drive with you trapping around 120 and him around 115 to 117, plus him being a T56, it’d be close in the 70 to 140 range. Remember aerodynamics plays a big roll at those speeds too.

Don’t get me wrong, it was a good kill on your part; I’m just trying to offer some insight to you about LS1s incase that guy comes back asking for some expressway action.

Again, good kill.

Thanks for the info RPMWS6. I occasionally will race on the freeway if it is a spur of the moment thing and I get next to a fast car but I do not go out setting up highway races. Drag racing is done from a dead stop. That is the only kind of racing that concerns me and I have built the car accordingly. I have drag raced many automatic LS1's, you are right, they do give a much better run for me than the six speeds because most people cannot properly launch a manual transmission car. I have raced 6 speeds that get out of the hole just as hard as autos.

Robs car has now hit the 9's. Not sure of the exact time or MPH on the pass. Nice kills by the way.

As always good kill Justin. It was good to see you this weekend, let us know when you break into the 10's!

Good kill...

A heads/cam/headers 6spd LS1 is probably in the neighborhood of 450RWHP and that would most likely make it a mid to low 11 second full weight car with a dissent driver... Watch out though cause next time he might come back with a big blue bottle and that could make it a real interesting race!!!:D

Re: Good kill...

Originally posted by 86brick
Watch out though cause next time he might come back with a big blue bottle and that could make it a real interesting race!!!:D

Actually I was looking under his hood and he had a nozzle sticking out of his air lid but it wasn't connected to any lines. He said he has sprayed the car before but he unhooked it. Now that would be one helluva fast car:eek:

Bottle Schmottle.........

It takes at least the bottle to be able to race on the street with an LS1. It also takes a garage full of trannies and rear ends. Rob aka; LS1 Motorsports has, I think, the fastest LS1 on the STREET. Yes, he drives it, but he has had numerous rear ends and transmissions in the car. The stock drive train can't keep up with even bolt on mods. I think his next tranny will be a T400 built to the hilt. He's makin some awsome power. See www.http://www.ls1motorsports.com
He's one nice guy but he's addicted to speed. LOL
Oh! BTW he owns a TR also.

Maybe he took it off because he's afraid of blowing it up... All it takes in a 6spd car is one over rev while powershifting and a little happy gas and KABOOM... I've always been a big believer in auto trannies with spray for this reason... Hell some guys blow motors by over revving with no spray... Also, the car would probably spin real hard even with some sticky DRs when he sprays it... Whitehot84, last time I heard Rob had a TH350 tranny in his turbo ls1 Z28... Did he blow that tranny up? That car must be making some serious power to break all these parts, and I think his best time with the car was a 9.80... Very impressive times for a driver:eek:

Last I heard Rob was putting down around 630 rwhp with around 15psi. Not 100% sure on those numbers but they are/were close as of 2 months ago. I saw him break one tranny at Ohio Valley a while back, not sure what kind. Last I heard he is going to pull it and start over, wants an 8 second car I guess.

8's!!!

He would be the first cause I think the quickest LS1 powered car right now is Nick Agostino's WS6 TA with a big bore stroker 432ci LS1 that ran a 9.5@143mph on spray... I'm sure someone will run the number, but I'm curious to see what type of LS1 gets there first... Will it be a turbo ls1 or a big bore stroker ls1 like the ARE car??? I guess will have to wait and see:D

Yeah, no word as of yet. I know a few guys that are pretty good friends of his. I think he ditched the aluminum LS1 block for cast iron. I know he was having big problems with keeping the heads on the car. They kept wanting to come off on the dyno. The name Agostino sounds familiar, are they in Canada? He kept going up there to dyno and work on the car I believe.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that ARE or Agostino Racing Eng. is located somewhere in Canada... Matter of fact I think Rob's turbo ls1 has a built 375ci motor that was put together by Agostino... That would explain why he was going up there to dyno and work on it.

wolfj359, contrary to popular belief our "flying black bricks" DO NOT sprout wings at 130-140 mph trust me I know.

I guess I am just paranoid because I was passing a line of four slow cars on a two line highway a couple weeks ago and had a blowout doing about 100 mph in the back. I was able to control the car fine but I have just been a little weary of high sustained speeds:eek:.

Wolf, you've got a point there. When I went flat out a few weeks ago I forgot how un-nerving driving 150 mph down a stretch of asphalt felt. I couldn't hear my stereo because my t-tops were singing a louder tune if you know what I mean. Oh well, I guess my quest for 160 will have to wait till I get my courage back!!! Even with new comp TA's you never feel totally in control.