Heads and Cam for California Emissions?

subsolar0

Just wonder how big of a cam I can go with and not have to worry about CA smog. And are there any aftermarket heads that will pass or should I stick with ported stockers? Will roller rockers pass smog?

not sure this helps,but it will also depend where you live maybe you are in a basic smog area or an enhanced area or change of ownership area, but i dont know if it matters heh anyway ttt for ya!

oh on my previous car, an 86 ttype,i had ported stockers and a kenne bell cam and passed with very clean emissions according to the tech that smogged it. just my .02cents

I believe you can get a chip from Eric @ turbotweak for smogs

This may help

subsolar0 said:
Just wonder how big of a cam I can go with and not have to worry about CA smog. And are there any aftermarket heads that will pass or should I stick with ported stockers? Will roller rockers pass smog?
-----------------------------------
I don't know of any aftermarket heads, (aluminum: Champion, MA, or TA that have the egr passages cast in as an integral feature of the aluminun heads. You might be able to coax Tom at Champion in Florida to make you some "smog" heads out of their ported & polished cast iron 8445's, but leaving all of the smog & egr passages intact.
http://www.championracingheads.com/
BPE racing head service in Placentia can make you some smog heads and leave the egr passages and egr port functional,
http://www.bpeheads.com/
and last but not least Lou Czarnota, a supporting vendor on this site can tell you what will and what won't go through in the way of cam sizes versus Ca. smog. Lou's shop is in Lake Forest and he can be reached at his cell (949) 378-1590. HTH

Aftermarket heads may get you into trouble, especially if they're easy to distinguish from stock. It's not just passing the idle/dyno tests, but also passing visual inspection. Unless an aftermarket part is on the Executive Order, it's not allowed.

Yes, there are some things allowed aftermarket without an EO, but I'm pretty sure heads need an EO.,

Hacksaw said:
Aftermarket heads may get you into trouble, especially if they're easy to distinguish from stock. It's not just passing the idle/dyno tests, but also passing visual inspection. Unless an aftermarket part is on the Executive Order, it's not allowed.
Yes, there are some things allowed aftermarket without an EO, but I'm pretty sure heads need an EO.,
-------------------------------
That's exactly why I keep my turbo Buick 100% stock and original, and slower than snailsnot. No mods here, officer.

Alright, so if I just port the stock heads, how big of a cam should I go with to not have to worry about CA emissions?

subsolar0 said:
Alright, so if I just port the stock heads, how big of a cam should I go with to not have to worry about CA emissions?
------------------------------
Maybe if you E-mail Joe Cheung at:
<joseph_cheung@dca.ca.gov>
he can advise you: he is hands down the Ca. smog expert on any of the forums that I am aware of. He is also the administrator.
I mentioned Lou Czarnota's name and cell because he is a local So Cal engine builder with a lot of experience with these motors, and his motors have a rep for passing. There are other good engine assemblers/builders on this board. Might want to try Nick Micale in Phoenix, who is a moderator on this board. I am also sure that others with more experience with cams will chime in and respond. HTH

Since Buicks don't really need alot of camshaft to make the power they make, duration shouldn't be an issue for you to get the car to pass.

We build alot of racing engines, boosted and non boosted. Alot of them need to pass smog.

So when in doubt with customers, we try to sell the cubic inches instead of more compression and cam overlap. Makes for lower emissions.

I'd stick to a max of around 210-212 degrees at .050 intake duration. The exhaust duration does not affect emissions as much as the intake duration does (unless it's really way off). The main thing you want to make sure of is..... you install THE LARGEST catalyst you can find. Now when I say "largest", you want one that has the biggest "cross-sectional area" of substrate (the rhodium paladium metals in the cat) or "honeycomb" where the reduction take place. Don't listen to the exhaust shop when they tell you that their smallest one will be fine for up to a 5.0 liter engine. B.S.!!! To match the effectiveness of a new factory catalyst, and with the terrirble quality of todays aftermarket cats, go with the biggest one you can find.

After that.... make sure you're running a stock chip or one of these "emissions" chips. They pull timing out so they hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide will be greatly reduced, and therefore the cat can do more effective work at reducing our emissions output.

As far as the heads go, the notes people mentioned about no egr passages is correct. Although we do have a customer that has passed their smog check at a Test Only station with head that had any markings ground off them and they were painted along with the engine, so it was really hard to tell they were aftermarket. Most smog techs aren't that hip to tell and aftermarket head vs. a factory head. But the safe bet is always the factory head, and the aftermarkets do require a E.O. number in order to be legal.

Pretty much anything that you do to your car would require a part that carries an E.O. number these days if you want to get technical about it. So if it doesn't have an E.O.#, it probably isn't accepted.

JSAautomotive said:
What does Joe Cheung do at BAR?? Whats his title??
-------------
I honestly don't remember, and I meant that Joe because he is into Hi-performance cars also, especially turob Buicks. But I know that he does have a title. He is or is 1 of the administrators of turbobuick.com, this site, and he is also moderator of the smog section (where we're at now) under the name gofstbuick. He has helped me countless times regarding smog questions.