headliner ?

ffej

hi im new here and have a ? about headliners. ive got an 86 gn with t tops thats been in storage for years. last time we took it out with the tops out the headliner started falling apart. what is the best replacement and where is the best place to get it ? also does any one rechrome or make new the long chrome peices on the upper door panels that the pull straps screw to? im probably going to have alot of questions. thanks for any help,jeff

I just replaced my headliner material although I don't have t-tops. Anyhow I looked at the material at the Joann Fabrics store which was close in color and also at Pep Boys which was even closer. The visors needed done too so after calculating the cost I just took the headliner and visors to the trim shop I use and had it done for $180

Ditto what BuickBob said about the headliner. Brian at GBodyParts.com, or "intercooled88s"(he's parting some cars too) might be able to help you with the door trim pieces. If you can find new ones- they'll be costly. I've never heard of plastic being stripped and re-chromed, but- that doesn't mean no one's doing it! Call around to some of your local chrome shops/plastic molders, and perhaps they can answer that ;) .

I forgot about your chrome ?. Theres a company in PA called Branden Enterprises that I met at Carlise and he claims he can rechrome plastic parts. His phone # is 215-327-4926.

buickbob said:
I forgot about your chrome ?. Theres a company in PA called Branden Enterprises that I met at Carlise and he claims he can rechrome plastic parts. His phone # is 215-327-4926.
Now- THAT'S valuable info ;) !!

headliner with t-tops

headliner replacement tech article with photos

See it at:
http://edchapman.tripod.com/headliner.html

bye, Ed
http://edchapman.tripod.com/cars.html

-- 84 T-Type WH1 15.4@89 bone stock original - runner up B-5 GS nats 2004
2nd place class V 78-85 turbo Regal car show GS nats 2006
-- 87 T 14.1@97 stock daily driver
-- 87 GN bone stock original - 399/400 points BCA senior gold 2005
-- 03 GSX 14.9@93 bone stock daily driver

I looked in a local fabric shop, and on the internet. There is headliner material available, pretty cheap- $5 a yard. But it has 1/4" foam backing. The OEM is much thinner- maybe 1/8"? Who has found the thinner foam, and where? My car has the buckskin headliner, since it is the much prettier non-black turbo Regal.