Headliner install done !

whtturbot

Just finished installing a new headliner in my 87 t tonight. I very pleased with the results thus far. Im in the process of redoing the interior. Im thinking of changing it up a bit. Ive decided to go with the gn style seat covers. The original color is grey. IM going with blk carpet. But this is where i made a huge jump. I replaced the grey headliner with a blk one. and if I do say so myself it looks like the car should have came that way ! I still need to get the visors done. I have some pics but I do not know how to post them. (any advice ?)

I've just did mines a few days ago also. I bought the kit from IMMautospecialties, a tubo buick vendor. I think i payed 49$ with shipping included. They used DAP as the glue.

I had a t-top, so taking the original stryophone backing off was a piece of cake. I was suprised at how well and professional the headliner looked when i was done.

Since i had a t-top, i had extra headliner material. I am planning on using this to make t-top shades with a thin fiber board for summer use.

What part of brooklyn do you live in Frankie? i freguent the east new york area quit often.

I went with the 3M 77 . It seems to work pretty well. I got the headliner material from JoAnn fabrics. Total cost with the glue 34.80. The end results = PRICELESS :cool:

I did my head liner a few days a go, the glue the sent me from Jax was not worth the powder to blow it to hell. The head liner fell down the next day!!! Granted it is like 95 degrees here with 80 percent humidity. So now I have to pull the mo fo back out and redo it. What is the best heat/humidity resistant spray adhesive?

..."I replaced the grey headliner with a blk one."

As in a black headliner??? I'm having a lot of trouble visualizing that, for some reason. Doesn't that darken the interior a lot?

For posting pics, I started using http://www.imagestation.com It's pretty easy, though on dial up, you are better off uploading your pictures via email; the easy ways they suggest end up taking longer. Then when you want to post a pic/album or pics, just copy the URL and paste it here.

Originally posted by whtturbot
I went with the 3M 77 . It seems to work pretty well. I got the headliner material from JoAnn fabrics. Total cost with the glue 34.80. The end results = PRICELESS :cool:

A man should NEVER go into a store like that. You should have sent your wife/girlfriend..... JK :)

Sorry TED , I forgot to mention i went into the store with my girlfriend while my wife stayed in the car . As for darkening the interior ,I didnt notice a differents. The third gen camaro I had came with a blk headliner.;)

3M 77 Spray

Hey Sam,

I've got a new can of 3M 77 spray adhesive you can use, sorry to hear the headliner came down, it looked perfect when I saw it.

Let me know if I can help.

James

Anyone wanna hep me do mine???:)

I got the sagging headliner also. All these post on how easy it is to do has got me itching to do it. I wanna know how much time do you have to work with the material before the glue sets?? Do ya have a few minutes to work out any wrinkles or is it "one shot, one kill".
Also, I have no idea how to pull the old one out. Is it advisable to get some replacement clips to replace the ones I am bound to break??

A black headliner??? I never thought about it. I would love to see pics if anyone has them.

Thanks In Advance

I just did mine today. One thing I learned if using DAP Contact Cement (I got a quart at ACE Hardware for $7.00): Only put the glue on the backing board, not on the back of the headliner itself. It will eat the foam backing. I got a dip that I managed to work out, but the rest turned out good. I used a full 2-liter Coke bottle to roll everything out. It worked good, like a big rolling pin. You must have someone hold one side up while you work toward them; it's stuck once you press it onto the backing board.

I was gonna do a black headliner also, but changed my mind. Light colors tend to make a car look more "airy" inside.

The dap spray i used was sprayed onto the headliner and the backing. Waited about 3-4 minutes and then slapped them together. I did mess up in a part of the backing that had a dip in it for the coat hooks on one side. I forgot to mold the headliner into the dip. It already took on an instant bond, but the glue was still stretchy enough to be pulled out without damage. So i pulled the headliner out slowly at that point and re-attached it.

i have t-tops, so this job is very easy to do since it is not a big problem to pull out and reinstall the backing in the car.

Just found out my wife (sewing fanatic) gets a 10% discount at JoAnn's Fabrics...looks like this project will be rolling pretty soon!
Jeff