Header weld

MistaScott

Abnormally Aspirated
I had my header welded by a friend with welding experience (MIG). The header was not preheated or anything. He just welded the crack.

How long will this last and is there any chance it warped since it wasn't bolted to a head?

proper way is to bead blast the bad area, clean, and then tig weld it. I also fab a gusset and tig it in. Great sucess and it lasts
Mitch

Hey, gotta learn the lesson some time. I had no clue there was any special process involved until the day after he welded it.:mad:

Mine was welded by a buddy in the exact same manner. :rolleyes:

2.5 years and 22,000 miles later still holding. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Put it on and drive the damn car. There's nothing you can do now but wait for it to crack again. Concentrate on better things. :cool:

Originally posted by scottyb

Put it on and drive the damn car. There's nothing you can do now but wait for it to crack again. Concentrate on better things. :cool: [/B]

Just to clarify here...

The process used to perform the patch isn't as important as the quality of the wire, the weave pattern, and the penetration.

buickboy is correct. Our headers are a not-so-hot 304 SS alloy, which should, in a perfect world, be welded using a TIG process with a 321 alloy rod [Tubing Grade + 1]. Depending on the extent of the original crack, a MIG process, with the correct wire, would hold up just fine, unless you're superheating the headers quite often. I've done it both ways in the past.

Run the car hard. If they hold up for a week, you're probably fine for quite a while.

Good luck!

Originally posted by QuickWrench
...Our headers are a not-so-hot 304 SS alloy, which should, in a perfect world, be welded using a TIG process with a 321 alloy rod [Tubing Grade + 1].

Yes.

Brain-fart, sorry. You're right.

I'm using 304 for an N/A SBC that I'm fabbing headers for, with 321 wire. It's 304 on the brain this week. :mad: :confused: