Header / Turbo Ceramic Coatings

Hot Air

E85 and S.E./Carolinas Moderator
Staff member
What is the latest poop on ceramic (or other) coatings for turbos and headers? I have a Turbonetics 62 that came with Jet-Hot ceramic coating of the exhaust scroll and it is holding up just fine.
Conrad Carter

I had a high temp coating installed on my factory hedders. The coating was done inside an out. Cost me $149. At a place called Accessories Plus in Belmont, CA. The hedders look really nice. There is high temp coating on the hedman hedders on my chevelle (custom modified for angle plug heads). It was installed 7 years ago and the finish is still very nice. The idea behind coating inside and out is to protect the hedder from rusting from the inside out. A company called Northwest Industrial Coating (in Oregon, just north of the CA border) is the training facility for high temp coatings. IMHO, I would contact them and inquire about having your parts coated. Their prices are reasonable and will be done right. I went to Accessories Plus because their facility is less than 100 miles from my residence and I was traveling on business near them. The turn around time is usually 2 weeks.

i used a company called airbourne coatings also and they came out great do a search on google for them.

Originally posted by wickeds10
i used a company called airbourne coatings also and they came out great do a search on google for them.

If it's Airborne in East Hatford, CT - I would avoid them. They did not stand behind the work they did for me and I would never use them again or recommend them to anyone.

Conversely I think Swain Technologies does the best coating in the industry, but it's not the same smooth coating like Jet Hot or all the other CermaKrome clones.

thats the company i used and had nothing but luck with them i have a set of headers that is on its 8th year with out a flaw and another set thats on 3 years.

WickedS10,
Did you get Airborn to coat new headers or used? I'm curious to know if everyone with new headers or turbos had good experience and everyone with used parts had bad experience.
Conrad

That's life..... different experiences for everyone. My point was that they did not stand behind their work. Anyone can screw up and do the process incorrectly, no matter how good the company is. If they screw up and stand behind their work and fix it, I'd recommend them.

They did my downpipe and it came out great. But the other work they did for me was ridiculous. The coating literally burned off at idle and they didn't want to know anything about redoing it. $300 up in smoke, literally.

Most places you go to are going to use Cermakrome or something just like it. Wherever you go, ask them what they use. Since most places use the same stuff, the differentiator is their service and warranty.

the first set was used maybe for a few months and the second set was new that we built.i blasted the insides and outs really good before sending both sets.

by borther has jet-hot coated header that have lasted for a long time. iam all for the jet-hot coating.