Header questions

gnpoweredrail

Who makes the most robust, strongest, will not break, thickest gauge headers?
Anyone know what gauge the factory headers are?

Anyone EVER have issues with headers cracking at collector below turbo and pipe that leads up to turbo including the weld around the turbo flange????

An early set of headers I had on my car broke under the turbo, so when this set was built, I also added a support bracket bolted to the head to prevent the heavy turbo from flexing and cracking the header:

NICK'S ENGINE 7.jpg

thanks for the input.
I see yours wasn't factory items though.
Im thinking of modifying the j bracket to bolt to the compressor housing as well and then tie into the last head bolt as well so the turbo cant twist.
The exhaust is the only problem I have with my car.

Anyone else??
I see the TA headers are .083 for the stainless. Does anyone know what the HYE-Tech ones are?

Who makes the thickest ones? Who could make a custom set that would not break?

Anyone else??
I see the TA headers are .083 for the stainless. Does anyone know what the HYE-Tech ones are?

Who makes the thickest ones? Who could make a custom set that would not break?

Its not just the thickness of the pipe that dictates strength .... design of the header / support/ and most important the weld process

Material selection is also important ... 409 vs 304 vs 321 ...

if properly support with a gusset and welded correctly .. it shouldn't be an issue

keep in mind the stock stuff has been heat cycled for 25+ years and is cheaper grade material.. weld process also isn't the best ...

these are HYE-Tech headers that he warrantied no questions for me
the one he sent to me broke again just after the v-band where the drivers side pipe merges with the passengers side just before the turbo.
I fixed it and installed a slip/flex bellows thinking it wouldn't happen again and it just broke Saturday again 3/4 around the turbo flange(actual flange turbo bolts to just like the above pic but only the top weld) and around my repair down lower on the collector

This has been an ongoing problem as Im offroad and you guys don't have this problem.

PISS POOR weld quality .. no support gusset.. no purge .. crap material coupled with GFORCE = CRACKING GALORE ... not unusual especially with 304

you can change the design of the header.. you can also add in gussets to support the turbo... also like mentioned above securing turbo with a bracket especially when the turbo is mounted so far out...

lot of ways to skin this cat ... 321 is stronger especially from a thermal standpoint and heat cycling .. .065 321 should hold that no issues if designed correctly, supported correctly, welded correctly

Last edited:
yeah just like factory manifolds.
What would you like to see support it??

Triangulate it with gussets... create a support bracket... that will help ... the crack being next to the weld says a lot ... you can patch that header all day.. it will keep cracking

I don't see how that would help my header from cracking the way it does except for the weld around the base of the turbo flange.
But the cracking around the weld at the collector is another issue.