Header Panel Repair

Rugby

I was working on my gn today picked everything up closed the hood and went inside. Come out to go somewhere and the header panel is cracked.

What the best way to fix it?

Attachments

• 20150628_145929.jpg
    20150628_145929.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 253
Ive read you have to drill a hole at the end of the crack to stop it from spreading. And then you can use a fiberglass kit to fix it.

What i did was scuffed the areas and applied jb weld and then duraglass filler over top after i sanded the jb weld.

I applied the jb weld on the other side of the cracked area. You have to scuff the area befoee applying it.

I used Vette panel adhesive. It is a 2 part mixture. It will shrink very little so a few applications might be necessary. I actually tried it on a header panel from the junk yard that was busted up pretty good. Once I got better with it I tried it on my GN header panel and had it painted black. Came out real nice.In your case I would have the bottom of the crack glassed in for strength and make sure the crack has stopped as stated above and use a ball burr to follow the crack and fill in the burred area with the Vette panel adhesive. The cost of it is around 40 bucks unless you know of a body shop that may have some. I think out of the whole can you may only use like 3 tablespoons.

www.evercoat.com/.../PIS%20-%20Vette%20Panel%20Adh%20rev%2012

Ps check your little hood adjusters in the corners at the top of your header panel, the hood looks as if it was lower than your header panel and now the broken piece looks level with your hood. You may have karate chopped your header panel. Hope this helps.

The hood is off a little. I am hopping in the next few months I can get it into the garage and start eh rust repair on the body and paint it.

Should I be able to find vette panel adhesive local or will I need to mail order it?

Found mine at a local autobody supply. I think places like NAPA and the like should have it or be able to get it if not on the shelf.

The NAPA near me that has the paint dept. off to the side and Keystone has it. Roughly $35.